Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Top-5

I was watching the movie "High Fidelity" the other day with my kid and it got me thinking about my top-5 lists.

Here we go:

Top-5 favorite songs:

5. Jolene, by Cake from "Motorcade of Generosity"
4. Shore Leave, by Tom Waits from "swordfishtrombones"
3. Subterranean Homesick Alien, by Radiohead from "OK Computer"
2. Paranoid Android, by Radiohead from "OK Computer"
1. Something, The Beatles, I prefer the demo version from "Anthology Vol. 3"

Jolene is a good driving-home-late-at-night-in-the-dark song. Shore Leave is actually the song I listen to before I race. It tells the story of a homsick sailor getting drunk and missing his wife. SHA was a song that I listened to ALOT when I was in the service, especially early in the morning when I was getting up to run. It tapped into the feeling of alienation, uncertainty and homesickness I was feeling at the time. . . my late teens and early twenties, oof. Paranoid Android is just a song that doesn't know what it wants to be. Slow and sweet or angry and loud? It ends up being both. Something, especially this particular version, is the song I said I was going to dance to at my wedding. Nevermind that I hadn't met my wife yet, good thing she's a Beatles fan as well.

Honorable Mention: Hotel Yorba and I Can Tell That We are Going to be Friends by the White Stripes from "White Blood Cells." Just a hell of a rollicking good tune in the case of Hotel Yorba. Friends is just a sweet song and can be heard at the start of "Napoleon Dynamite." Both songs were featured at our wedding, Friends as they announced us and Yorba just for the hell of it. We ended up having the dancefloor to ourselves for a second first dance.

Top-5 movies tomorrow.

2 comments:

Nate M. said...

Great idea.

I like a lot of stuff, and my favorites change pretty frequently. Right now, my favorite song is probably Ben Folds' Jesusland.

Aaron said...

My favorites change quite a bit too. Right now I am pretty high on "Cure For Pain" by Morphine. I recently rediscovered them on Sirius and I forgot how much I liked them back in the day. Sandman dying in 1999 was a sad day.