Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Goodbye Heath Ledger

I was shocked to hear about Heath Ledger being found dead in his apartment at the age of 28 from an apparent overdose yesterday. I remember seeing him for the first time in "Ten Things I Hate About You" and thinking that he would be an actor to watch in the coming years. He had good looks and a commanding screen presence. Over the next few years I found myself alternately applauding and scratching my head over some of the projects he undertook. I must say though that the character he created in "Brokeback Mountain" is his crowning achievement as an Everyman who has a secret love that not every man has. I think he got robbed at the Oscars that year.

It is sad that a man with so much talent died so early and I offer my condolences and prayers to his family.

2 comments:

Nate M. said...

So, I'm not a big movie fan, so I've actually never seen any of Ledger's movies. Additionally, I recognize that this is a solemn post about a tragic event. However, quick funny story... today, some of my classmates were talking about Ledger's untimely death. I mentioned that I'd never seen "Ten Things I Hate About You." One of my classmates replied, "It was like THE movie in middle school." Then, she paused and said, "Well, when I was in middle school, not you, Nate." I smiled and responded, "Right, because when I was in middle school... Heath Ledger was also in middle school." Spending your life with people born in 1985 is a great way to make yourself feel really old.

Aaron said...

That's funny. Your classmates probably don't remember Kurt Cobain being alive either.