Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Training Race #1 - The Mile

The nice thing about the Decatur Running Club is that they have training races of varying distances every Tuesday until August. Tonight they offered a mile and three mile training races but in coming weeks will also offer two, four, six and seven mile options, all for the low price of $1. I am getting ready to ramp up the training for a PPR peak in mid-September and I wanted to see how the legs felt with fast stuff and I wanted to have a fast effort to base my speedwork paces on.

The races are held on a bike trail in Fairview Park and are out-and-back on rolling terrain. In fact, the first quarter of the races is almost completely uphill. The nice thing about that is that you get to run down the hill the last quarter.

Us lucky few, mostly kids high school age or younger, and me (the nearly 31 year old guy) were released about 2 minutes after the three mile people. I thought this would be nice to have people to catch but I was wrong. I took it easy the first quarter and let one of the high school boys lead up the hill. At the top I stayed on his heels and as we approached the half mile turnaround he slowed and I dropped him. Unfortunately I ran up on the back-of-the-pack three mile people and got hung up behind one as I came to the switchback. I think this cost me a few seconds but I clicked my half mile split in 3:03.38, uttered a profanity and surged very aggressively. I reached the 3/4 point, approximately, in 4:39; uttered another profanity and pretty much threw myself down the hill to the finish and crossed in 5:51.90. I ran the last half in 2:48.52 and waited for the second place kid who finished in 6:18. After catching my breath I ran a two mile cool down and drove home.

I'm pretty certain that I could have run 5-10 seconds faster for a full mile on the track and I'm pretty happy with my run. I will probably skip next week's training race to do 800s in the grass at the park but will probably hit the three mile option the last Tuesday in June.

I've got to get in shape for the PPR because Dan-oh and Lance ran 19:23 and 19:50, respectively, at the Scholastic Challenge last weekend. I can't let THOSE guys beat me. . .

Great job fellas!

3 comments:

Lance said...

Danoh is getting stronger too! I look for him to be about 18:45 for PPR depending on how many tri's he is doing this year. You won't have a problem beating me. My goal is to try to be down around 19:30 before the end of the year.

Great job for the mile! You would have thought they would have started the 1 mile group first???

What kind of 5K races are coming up in the city/surrounding cities of Stickatur?

Lance said...

And by the way... New PR for me.

I know you're a numbers guy so check out these stats... I was 2 minutes and some change faster than last year's Scholastic and over 7 minutes faster than the race in 2007 (First 5k in over 20 years).

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.uggsaleukincheap.co.uk]Ugg sale[/url] With the passing time, the craze for ugg boots is growing amidst girls in this modern-day environment. The expanding desire for these boots produced the manufacturers UGG Australia to revamp the seems of these boots with diverse hues. Now a female can uncover ugg boots from pink to blue that tends to make her seem fairly charming. When it arrives to city trend for adult men, Sean John Apparel has prolonged been well-known as the top rated manufacturer that delivers the city lifestyle into trend apparel lines. Nowadays, a few company establishments have turn out to be productive in their endeavors for advertising some of Sean John Clothing's collections. Wholesale outfits enterprises are some of individuals that grew to become flourishing in selling wholesale sean john apparel.

[url=http://www.uggsaleukincheap.co.uk]ugg boots cheap[/url] Susannah Location Museum - which is a minor terrace museum of four brick homes including a corner grocer store and
The Museum of Present-day Artwork - is focused to accumulating and presenting present-day artwork from throughout Australia and all-around the globe. No cost guided tours of the exhibitions are also held every day, with talks by artists, curators, and market pros.

These excursions to the museums and galleries may well make you hungry, and you can take care of on your own to at minimum just one of the district bistros. Some good examples are: UGG boots after the icons in Australia, but I can not simply because it is made and bought in distinct international locations close to the planet. And the "most preferred boots in the United States and Europe to give the benefit of guests during the winter months, but can be made use of all year.

[url=http://www.uggsbootsoutletukonline.co.uk]ugg boots sale[/url] The top quality of hair extensions is normally specified as virgin hair, Remy, or double drawn. Virgin hair refers to hair that has under no circumstances been processed or colored in any way. When it is collected, it is tied in such a way that the direction of the cuticle is managed and then slash off. Right after it is slice, the hair is possibly pre-bonded, sewn on wefts, turned into wigs, or just remaining in bulk form. Remy hair is human hair with essentially just about every strand likely in the similar direction, roots on an individual finish and strategies on the other. It is superior high quality hair that can continue to be shiny and tangle-no cost for a longer period of time. Double drawn hair extensions are created by hand, and consequently, they are quite high-priced. They look significantly thicker than other varieties of hair extensions, mainly because all the strands in them are equivalent in length.
are produced from sheepskin and have a fleece inner lining for equally warmth and convenience. Treating your boots prior to donning them is crucial to avert water hurt. Use UGG products to take care of your UGG boots for the most useful result. UGG also endorses that you simply clean your boots ahead of working with the repellant for the leading safety.