Thursday, December 13, 2007

I'm not tired yet.

So I'm going to post an entry. I've been a little pre-occupied lately with my son being sick, end of semester activities with my radiography students, Christmas shopping, planning in-services for the next year for the technologists in my department and finding a place to house the Radiology Department's Powered-Air-Purifying-Respirators (PAPRs) as well as writing a policy for inspection processes and implementing said policy.

I just got tired thinking about all of it.

About two weeks ago I ran a two mile race at our end of year race, the Frostbite Festival. There were 10 and two mile races and it was about 54 degrees so I decided to run the shorter option because I didn't need the age group points. The courses are both out-and-back and if the first mile of the two mile race was any type of indicator then the next four miles to the longer race's turn-around were going to be strenuous.

I took off with two guys in my age group who aren't club members but are at about my level of fitness. I don't know how experienced they are at running but they were running the ten miler and we all went through the mile mark together. I happened to go through at about 6:01. . . I also happened to be turning around. I was in third place overall in the two mile race and I stayed there. I finished up my last mile in about 6:30 or so for a time of 12:31. After finishing I cheered on a few people, grabbed my brand new Asics Storm Shelter jacket and went inside Fit Club to eat a muffin and drink a Gatorade.

After replenishing my carbs I jogged out to the mile mark to wait for my friend, the Bionic Woman, so I could run the last mile of the race with her. She was in second place in the women's race and was hurting so I paced her in and let her draft off me, she finished in a bit over 70 minutes. My two buddies didn't fare too well after their 6:00 first mile. One of them did okay and ran 69:45 but the other crashed hard and finished in the neighborhood of 75 minutes. After that I went home, took a shower and got family pictures taken.

Then we got freezing rain later that night.

Recap: It was 54 at 0900 when I ran my race and 12 hours later it was 28 and precipitating.

My Storm Shelter jacket kicks ass in freezing precipitation. The review says that it is only a mid-weight jacket but I get hot in it when it is in the high 20s and I'm only wearing a short-sleeve shirt underneath.

2 comments:

Nate M. said...

I'm guessing that you're getting pounded with winter weather right about now?

Aaron said...

Yeah. We got a bit of snow, 2-3 inches. It isn't too bad but I hate snow.