Sunday, May 4, 2008

What a week

It turns out that the puking my son engaged in last Saturday was the opening shots of a long bout of illness that lasted until late Wednesday. Kim, Nathan and I drove to Peoria Saturday afternoon for the wedding reception of one of my best friends from high school. Nathan spent the night at Grandma Claudia's and when we picked him up on Sunday morning he was looking pretty wimpy. Apparently he puked twice that night but she didn't call us because he seemed fine after that. What followed after that was a sick, mopey kid who had such bad diarrhea that every time he had an episode he would scream. Ironically, or typically, when I took him to the doctor on Wednesday morning he quit having diarrhea and started eating again.

Despite the sick little boy at my house Kim and I were still able to give each other chances to get out of the house for a bit and I managed to fit in a few nice workouts over the last week. Monday evening I ran and easy 6 miles in 48:47 with mile splits of 8:11, 7:58, 8:14, 8:09, 8:13 and 8:01.

Wednesday night was a track workout. I had a nice night with 68 degree temps, 49% humidity and a SE wind blowing at 13 mph. I ran three sets of 2x200 plus 400 with 200 meter recovery jogs between reps and 400 meter recovery jogs between sets.

I started off with a mile warm-up in 8:05 and then ran a mile of strides in 7:28. The goal for the workout was to run my 200s in 41 seconds and my 400s in 1:24.

Set #1:

40.76
(1:10)
41.26
(1:15)
1:25.82
(2:26)

Set #2:

41.40
(1:17)
40.90
(1:28)
1:23.10
(2:36)

Set #3

41.75
(1:25)
40.77
(1:31)
1:23.81
(2:43)

I got a real bad right side stitch the last set that hurt like you wouldn't believe. I'm glad I didn't have to do another set because it would have sucked.

I cooled down with a mile in 8:26 and went home with a total of six miles for the night.

Thursday night I ran another easy six miles after dinner. I left too soon because I felt really heavy the whole run so I've decided that I should probably wait two hours after eating meatloaf and mashed potatoes before running for future reference.

Thursday night was a pleasant 67 degrees that felt much cooler due to the winds blowing out of the South at 19 mph that would gust up to 25. I ran most of the first four miles into that wind as you can tell by my mile splits: 8:39, 8:19, 8:30, 8:10, 8:17 and 7:55 for a time of 49:49.

Early Saturday afternoon I set off for an easy ten miler after putting Nathan down for a nap. I had my iPod Shuffle loaded up with Modest Mouse's "The Lonesome Crowded West" and "Searching For a Former Clarity" by Against Me! The majority of the 1:20:17 it took me to cover my ten miles was eaten up my the incredibly enjoyable "Lonesome Crowded West". Most Modest Mouse fanboys say that "The Moon and Antartica" is their best and while I agree that "Moon" is pretty good I think I prefer "The Lonsesome Crowded West". Highlights for me were the songs "Styrofoam Boots/It's All Nice On Ice, Alright", "Polar Opposites", "Bankrupt On Selling", "Lounge (Closing Time)", "Jesus Christ was an Only Child", and "Cowboy Dan".

While jamming out to Modest Mouse I hit splits of 8:08.84, 8:18.11, 8:19.05, 15:55.42, 16:05.92, 7:47.83, 8:05.03 and 7:37.60 all while running in wind that was out of the WNW at 25 mph and gusting to 32. I'm glad that I didn't run the Lake Run 12K yesterday because it would have sucked.

This week is looking like a 200-400-800-400-200-200 ladder on the track tomorrow, an easy six on Wednesday, a three mile tempo at 6:32 - 6:38 pace on Friday and another easy 6-8 miles on Saturday.

This week I covered 28 miles, on four days of running, to bring my total for the year up to 415.75. I only did lifted once and only did yoga once so I need to hit that a little more today and next week.

5 comments:

Nate M. said...

Man, you've reminded me how much windier it is in the spring in IL than in NC. I'd consider 15 mph a really windy day here. With 32 mph gusts, I'd probably be staying inside. Solid work.

I'm still nursing some minor injuries. I've get these issues around my left knee, and one particular muscle in my right hamstring has been as tight as a guitar string for several days. I took Friday and Saturday off, which did a world of good for my knee but not much for my hamstring. Then, this morning, I did a hard 42 miles on the bike. That workout did a nice job of loosening up my hamstring, but my knee now feels pretty banged up again. I'm going to take tomorrow off, do a hill workout Tuesday, do some easy miles Wednesday, and then take Thursday off as well. Then, it will be time to re-evaluate. I was coming off of a 3-week stretch of pretty intense training, and I think it finally caught up to my body.

Aaron said...

If my lt knee and rt hamstring were bothering me I would skip the hill workout and run easy both days.

That's just me though.

At this late date what good is a hill workout going to do for your overall fitness especially if it could exacerbate one or both of your ailments?

Nate M. said...

You bring up a good point. However, with a race in the mountains coming up, it's worth it to me to get on the hills. If I were experiencing any pain, I'd skip it, but fortunately, I'm not. It's really just tightness/not feeling quite rightness.

Anyway, I know that conventional wisdom says that one workout has only so much value, but I really do notice significant gains after individual hill workouts... at least until I'm in good hill shape. I appreciate your looking out for me, nevertheless. If I end up hurting worse on Wednesday, you can tell me that you told me so.

Natalie said...

Poor little dude, glad he's feeling better.

I wish I could run with an Ipod. I'm convinced it would speed me up and distract me from wanting to be done. But I am just really paranoid about traffic and attackers lurking in the bushes.

Aaron said...

I'm glad he's feeling better too.

I only wear the iPod when I'm in town or on the bike trail and I run facing traffic. I'm not usually worried about attackers lurking in the bushes though. Not in broad daylight in Chatham, IL.

I fight dirty anyway.

Nate: If you get hurt I won't say I told you so.