Saturday, April 26, 2008

I Care 5K

I was up and down last night with Nathan and Kim as he hand a tummy ache and started puking at about zero-dark-30 and puked twice more in the next hour after that. Kim thinks he drank too much soapy water in the bathtub last night. I think I'll start calling it the barftub now.

I woke up around 0630, ate some Cheerios and drank my two cups of coffee. I checked the Weather Channel around 0800 and saw that it was 45 with 15 mph winds out of the west and a wind chill of 33. I threw on tights, a long sleeve shirt and my jacket for a quick one mile warm-up mile in 7:50. After that I hopped in the car and drove to Sherman.

I got to Sherman, grabbed my packet, ran another mile to warm-up with a hard two minute surge at the half mile mark and changed into my flats. After that I stood around trying to stay loose as the race was running a bit behind schedule.

At 0945 we went to the line, got our instructions and got going. I'd been looking at the faces on the line and based on the fact that no one was lining up directly on the line I began to despair that I was going to have a lonely, blustery race ahead of me. As the gun went off I came off the line in the lead with two other people off either shoulder. I took it easy for the first sixty seconds and threw a hard surge off the first turn into a slight downhill. After that it was a race against the clock.

The course wound around a sub-division in Sherman that had a few rolling hills but nothing incredibly intimidating. It was enough to make you change your turnover but not enough to sap you too much and there were enough downhills to surge on that I felt pretty good the whole way.

I hit the mile mark in 6:40.94 but it felt more like a 6:10-6:20. I was pretty disgusted and quit looking at my watch after that. I had two high school kids on bikes acting as my pacers so I made a game of trying to catch them. I talked to them after the race and they said they were trying to keep ahead of me so that I didn't catch them. I would gain ground and get within three or four seconds of them and they would look back and crank the pedals for a few seconds to extend their lead.

Apparently my game made me run super fast the second mile because I hit the two mile mark in 12:20.88 having covered the distance in 5:39.94. I think the mile mark was long.

After the two I pretty much had the wind to my back and two wily high school boys on bikes ahead of me so I tried to keep running strong and maintain my form. I started to hurt a little but before I knew it I could see that I was within a half mile of the finish line and I kicked it in, passing three in 18:54.35 with a 6:33.47 mile split and finished off the last 0.1 in 37.74 with a watch time of 19:32.09.

The second place finisher was right around 21:00 - 21:10.

I drank some water, ate a banana and watched my Hardy Breed pal Jason finish third in the 10K and then I ran backwards(on the course, I didn't actually run in reverse) to catch IronMartha and run the last bit of the race with her. She was the third overall woman in the 10K with a sub-49:00 two weeks after completing her first Full Ironman.

Frankly, I'm astounded that I ran as fast as I did in what amounted to a solo time trial. I thought I would run that fast only if there was more company. Apparently I'm in better shape than I thought I was or the course was only three miles long.

I guess I'll have to come back and defend my title next year.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go! Like you said, a great time, for running solo. I hope I am able to stay on your heals this summer.

Unknown said...

Awesome job, champ! Always nice to break the tape!!! You're going have a really good summer of racing.

Aaron said...

Thanks! I'm thinking the 19:00 barrier is going down sooner rather than later.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the W and for pushing yourself with no good reason. I would have gone tactical and saved a kick for the end.

Gotta go take the kids out to play... Matt

Aaron said...

The last 200 meters was too windy to kick!

I've been reviewing the race in my head and I just keep remembering how easy it felt.

It kinda freaks me out.

Nate M. said...

It occurs to me that I haven't won a race in more than 8 years- the 1999 Autumn Shoreline Classic 15K. You've won at least two since then, and you'll win more before I win one, I suspect.

Aaron said...

If it makes you feel any better until November of 2006 when I won that Turkey Trot that had 12 people in it the last time I won a race was in August of 1998 at the Yates City Gazebo Run 5K. I think that race had about 40 people in it. It also had a cute girl by the name of Ann Moody who traditionally planted a kiss on the winner as he crossed the finish line.

I digress though. In my running career I have won two 800 m. races, two 1600s, one two mile CC race in jr. high and three 5K races, EVER. I've actually finished second, or even third, to you in more races than I have ever won.

Nate M. said...

You just needed to run more of the cupcake dual meets we ran in high school. ;)

Switching topics- I'm about to begin a premature taper. I'm feeling a little banged up right now with some tenderness in my left quad tendon and in my right hamstring. Nothing too threatening, but I figure, if I'm only 2.5 weeks out from the race, no reason to get into trouble now.

Aaron said...

I had a six week taper for my half marathon. 2.5 weeks is nothing.

Aaron said...

Also, I just re-read that comment about cupcake dual meets. I seem to remember running in at least one dual meet against Havana every year but freshman year. What are you trying to say?

Nate M. said...

Did we run against one another in cross country? That's what I meant. I didn't think we did. On the other hand, we always ran Illini Central twice (which basically had no one after Aaron Berthold quit running with the school), Peoria Heights, Athens, and AC Central. We'd also run Farmington and Canton, who were considerably stronger, but to the most part, we were running squads that had a hard time getting out of the Regional.

Aaron said...

Oh, I thought you meant track meets. Our soph year I was a member of Farmington's CC team but I was suspended from the team for that meet because I didn't make it to practice on a Monday we didn't have school and I was too young to drive after my teammate ditched me in Hanna City.

If we'd have stayed in Farmington school district I would have retired from running at age 15 as the coach was a bit of a jerk.

Nate M. said...

Giagnoni mailed me a picture of me finishing the 3200 at state our senior year, so I've always had a soft spot for him.

Aaron said...

I've got tons of pics that he took of me but I didn't like his style of coaching and he's a big reason why I coach myself. That and I don't see the need to pay someone $90 a month to e-mail me a schedule that I could come up with myself after reading a few $20 books and a subscription to Runner's World and/or Running Times.