Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Moldy Water and 4x400

Last night I decided to run a track workout to test the hamstring. I didn't have any pain after the Scholastic Challenge and I took it easy the week after when I was in Akron so I decided it was time to slowly increase the intensity of my training and try to salvage my season.

I ran an easy one mile warm up in my subdivision in 8:20 and then jumped into my car with my water bottle and drove to the middle school track. On the way to the track I discovered that my water bottle had mold in it. It was pretty gross.

I ran another mile of accelerations in 7:33 then took about two and half minutes to stretch out before starting my reps.

The goal was to run each rep in 1:26 with 400 meter recovery jogs between each repeat.

1:24.56 (2:15.01)
1:25.48 (2:16.86)
1:25.54 (2:16.72)
1:24.54 (2:17.35)

After my last recovery 400 I ran a cool down mile in 8:16 and went home for dinner.

This morning I headed out for a relaxed sic mile jaunt at 0430. I stretched out a bit and then ran splits of 8:43, 8:17, 8:24, 8:21, 8:02 and 7:54 for a total time of 49:41. I felt pretty good.

I'm going to take it easy tomorrow and maybe do a little yoga or some light calisthenics to loosen up the back and legs. Friday morning I am going to run the Premier Bank 5K in Jacksonville. I ran 19:47 there last year which was about 22 seconds slower than my time from the Scholastic Challenge. My goal is to beat that.

Next Monday I have a test meeting for my online Masters degree program. I'm going to test all my software to make sure I can attend class without any problems on July 14th. With any luck I will be completing my classes for my Masters degree in Education through the University of Illinois in June of 2010.

No comments: