Monday, June 30, 2008

Fun in Akron

I was in Akron last week from Wednesday until (unfortunatly) Sunday. I was there for a Radiology Educators Conference and learned quite a bit. The gentleman who spoke for the three day conference has been a Radiography Program Director at a community college in SC for 37 years and was a treasure trove of information and advice. I had a good time and would love to visit his college when he holds a seminar there.

During my stay in Akron I went to the movies twice ("Ironman" and "Get Smart"), visited Best Buy everyday, ate at TGI Fridays (smoked salmon pasta), Outback (New York Strip, sweet potatoes, and green beans), Macaroni Grill (spaghetti and meatballs) and Steak -N- Shake (Frisco Melt). I drank a few beverages but didn't drink as many as I did when I was in Florida and I even got a few decent runs in at this really cool park one of the clerks at my hotel told me about.

The park was Sand Run Park and had quite a few trails that wound through pretty thick forest and up-and-down some very hilly terrain. I got a bit of five miles in on Wednesday, was rained out by some very severe weather on Thursday and put in a nice eight mile run in just under an hour and six minutes Friday.

Saturday evening I was supposed to fly from Akron to Chicago at 1845. Twenty minutes before my flight was to leave they canceled it. The airline put me up in a Quality Inn a few miles away and booked a flight out for me at 0600 Sunday morning.

This little trip was the longest I have ever been away from my son and when they canceled my flight I was about ready to cry. I missed him quite a bit and was hoping to be home when he woke up in the morning. It was worth the wait to walk into my house just before 1100 on Sunday morning and hear my wife say, "Daddy's home."

As I walked around the corner into our living room he was turning the corner around the couch. When he saw me his face little up and he yelled, "Da Da!!!" as he ran full tilt at me and lunged into my arms. As I picked him up he planted a kiss on my lips and then clung to me with his head on my shoulder for about two minutes before he let go.

He only let go so he could grab Kim and hug us both at the same time.

No comments: