Saturday, August 9, 2008

Ten miles of reflection on the Parade Run

I got up this morning for a ten mile jaunt along the bike trail. It was a beautiful day with temps in the mid 60s and low humidity. I wasn't relishing the run but I made it the entire uncomfortable way in 1:21:39 with out and back times of 41:30 and 40:09.

I replayed my race from Thursday in my head and realized that even though I felt sluggish the whole way I ran fairly well. I stayed off the hard sprint the first 400 but felt it was too early to go with Joy when she blew by me about a minute into the race. I chalked it up to her being way ahead of me in training this year and waved goodbye as she passed.

The Parade Run course is basically an L-shaped out-and-back that starts in the fairgrounds and takes a hard right approximately 600 meters later. You run about a kilometer to the mile mark, turn around and retrace your steps to the finish line. John L. and I determined that the distance from the gate to the finish would take 30-35 seconds and that would probably indicate a pretty good place to launch a blistering kick. The Parade Run is one of only two races I have done since my first full season of racing in 2005 and I have never avoided being gunned down in that final stretch.

After watching Joy go by I concentrated on running relaxed. By chance I looked at my watch as I made the hard right and saw that it took me 2:18 to get there. My pal, and nemesis, Dan was ahead of me at this point but I caught him as we passed a set of speakers playing a drumbeat that sounded suspiciously like "36-24-36" by the Violent Femmes. Dan had the indignity of being passed by me as I sang the bridge to the song: "36-24-26, I want lots of pretty chicks. . ." I wasn't singing a few blocks later as I approached and hit the turnaround in about 5:56-5:57.

I snagged a paper cup of water that promptly spilled as the volunteer didn't let go. I took a big enough sip to wet my whistle and dumped a few drops on my head as I took advantage of the downhill to surge. The pack had strung out a bit at this point but I knew that if I could catch the two guys ahead of me I'd have a good shot of going under 12:00 no matter how much it hurt.

The discomfort struck a block later and a subversive voice in my head told me that anything faster than 12:20 would be acceptable. At that point I looked up and saw that Joy was in sight and told the subversive voice that he was full of shit and needed to sit back and buckle up because I wasn't done quite yet.

I focused on relaxing and reeling in the two ahead of me hoping that Joy had run the first mile at a suicidal pace and would come back to me. After the race I found that Joy and her pace crew hit the mile in 5:36. When I hit the turn to head straight into the fairgrounds I told myself I only had about two minutes to go and that if I was going to break 12:00 this stretch was where it was going to happen. I caught one of the two I'd been chasing about a half block from the gate and caught the other (a short, skinny 12 year old boy, ironically) about a hundred meters from the line. I hit the finish in 12:00.86 by my watch but forgot that I hit my watch at gun time instead of when I crossed the mat.

My official time was 11:59.68 but it was rounded up to 12:00 by the race results people, which irritates me. I placed 34th overall, a two place improvement from last year, and won the 30-34 age group by 1:20. Unfortunately I wasn't the fastest 30-34 year old in the race as Joy ran 11:41 high. I am heartened by the fact that her 5:36 first mile took a toll on her because that meant I ran a faster second mile than she did, though not much faster. I do wonder how much faster I could have run if I'd tried to maintain contact with her and her pacers though.

The prediction that John L. and I came up with to determine the amount of time it would take to get from the gate to the finish was spot on as I covered the distance in 32.88 seconds and avoided being out-kicked in that stretch for the first time in four attempts at this race.

Next Sunday is Abe's Amble 10K and I am hoping to go under 42:00. The tempo runs, longer intervals and distance base is not as impressive as it was last year but I was also training through Abe's in preparation for the PPR. Maybe I'll surprise myself on Sunday. Maybe I won't.

6 comments:

Van 1- Hall said...

thats a quick 2 miler man! Good luck this weekend at the Abe's Amble!

Unknown said...

Good luck tomorrow! I'll look forward to the race report.

Nate M. said...

PR!!! 41:30!!! Way to go!

Aaron said...

Thanks, race report to follow.

Nate M. said...

Looking forward to it. Looking back at your blog, 41:30 was your 2008 10K goal posted many months ago, and 5:20 was your mile goal. You've had a good few weeks here, matching one goal and basically reaching the other. Congrats!

Aaron said...

Even though I wanted to run 1:35 for the half marathon I am very pleased with my 1:39:21 showing as I took over 4 minutes off my previous best. I've had an up-and-down year but a successful one, so far.

Things could be much worse with running and life.