Thursday, December 18, 2008

Mamma Mia

I was a good husband and rented "Mamma Mia" for my wife last night since we watched "Hancock" the night before that. I don't mind the occasional chick flick or musical but I was hesitant to watch a movie version of a musical based on ABBA music. (Cringe.)

I consoled myself with the fact that Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan and the guy who played Obi-Wan Kenobi's Jedi Master in "The Phantom Menace" were in it and that they don't usually suck.

I've come to the conclusion that the reason I'm not a huge fan of musicals is this: I cannot suspend disbelief enough to accept that people are spontaneously bursting into song because they're in love, angry, horny or drunk.

Well, I guess I could believe it when someone is drunk.

I also get freaked out when they have a conversation in song and when bystanders in the crowd sing back-up (especially when they're "ahhhh, do wop, do wop" back-up singing). If someone started singing "sha doobie do-wop" when I was having an argument with my wife or singing about how much I love vanilla flavored Silk I would run screaming to the nearest psych ward.

I left the room periodically to preserve my sanity (and listen to something that wasn't ABBA) but thought that the movie was decent and that I won't be buying it anytime soon.

7 comments:

Van 1- Hall said...

way to take one for the team man...

Nate M. said...

I really don't know why I don't like musicals. I mean, there was a lot of spontaneous breaking into song in one of the Austin Power's movies. Same for Anchorman. I liked those movies. But yeah, kudos to you, sir, for being a good husband.

Aaron said...

Yeah, but in Austin Powers they weren't conversing in song. They were just dancing and stuff. In musicals they're all, "Would you like a cup of coffee?" "Yes, thank you with two lumps of sugar and cream."Except they're singing it at each other. I think that is mostly what bugs me about musicals.

However, I love "Fiddler on the Roof" and I thought "Across the Universe" was pretty good, but that's all Beatles songs and I love the Beatles.

The other thing with musicals, especially when they're live, is that I get embarrassed for the people singing because their voices are mediocre at best and the songs can be really bad. It is like watching the tryouts for "American Idol" when the people who think they can sing are auditioning.

Nate M. said...

Another musical-type production that I love is Flight of the Conchords. It's the funniest thing I've seen in years.

Aaron said...

I think the show is strange but the music is oftentimes riotously funny. "Business Time" kills me every tine I hear it.

Van 1- Hall said...

2 minutes in heaven is better than 1 minute in heaven.

Aaron said...

I love the line about "tripping sensuously over my pants". The toothbrush bit is great too, "Ahh shocka-shocka, ahh shocka-shocka sha-wow-ow-ow!"