Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Easy

I got up this morning at 0430 and hit the road at 0445 for an easy 6 mile run. It was 61 with negligible wind and moderate humidity. I popped in the ear buds to my shuffle and ran along to Wilco, Sebadoh, the Clash and Tom Waits. It was a good morning. I hit my splits in 8:54, 8:18, 8:23, 8:33, 8:27 and 8:20 for a total time of 50:55. Highlights of my run were when "God's Away on Business" by Tom Waits and "Handshake Drugs" by Wilco came on. They're both great running songs.

Tomorrow is a tempo day. I think I'm going to run 2x1.5mile cruise intervals. I'm going to attempt to run about the same times I ran last time I did that practice. I ran 10:07 and 10:01 that day. I'll be happy if I run a little steadier and without the drastic difference in time.

Thursday will be a goose egg and Friday will be a slow, relaxed 5 or 6 mile run to lead into Steamboat on Saturday. I'm going to train through this week and do a mini-taper for the Scholastic Challenge 5k on June 23rd. I would like to run as close to 19:00 as I can at that race because my last chance for a fast course on a decent day won't come until September during the Polka Pace Race in Havana and I might have to work that weekend. I ran 19:35 at the PPR last year and I think that I can run faster than that but I'm not sure by how much.

I need to go check my potatoes and pork chops.

2 comments:

Nate M. said...

If you can get under 26 by a healthy margin at Steamboat without mini-tapering, then I'd predict that you'd make a run at a very fast time at the Scholastic Challenge.

Aaron said...

That's what I'm hoping for. I feel a little tired as of this moment. I'm going to go to bed real soon and try to get a good night's sleep. My allergies have been killing me and I keep forgetting to take an allergy pill. I finally walked over to CVS today because I couldn't take it anymore and bought some generic 24 hour Claritin.