Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Getting better

My knee is still stiff but it is popping a little bit and feeling less stiff. It felt fine on my run this morning but I'm still taking it easy and not doing anything up-tempo. I got up at 0500 this morning and ran an easy 5 miles. It was only about 50 and I wasn't used to the chill but I warmed up and ran well. I hit my splits in 8:44, 8:31, 8:17, 8:27, and 8:22 for a total time of 42:21. I am going to do a quick little calisthenics routine and then put some ice on my knee and go to bed.

I think one other reason I was able to stay injury free last year is because I took ice baths after my hard workouts and I haven't been as good about it this year. I think Saturday morning after my run I'll hop in a tub and chill for a bit. I don't use a lot of ice and if it is so cold it hurts it is too cold.

I'm off to lift!

2 comments:

Nate M. said...

I've known a lot of people who swear by ice baths. I suspect that they are in fact very helpful... but man that sounds cold.

Aaron said...

I don't put a whole lot of ice in mine but they do help. They feel VERY nice in the summer but I don't usually take them in the winter.

I usually fill the tub up with cold water just enough to cover the tips of my toes when I sit down and then I dump most of the container from my ice dispenser on my fridge. I used to sit in there for 20 minutes straight but now I do ten minutes in, ten minutes out and another ten minutes in. After that I hit the shower.