Monday, September 3, 2007

Grandma Gladys

My wife's last remaining grandparent, and Nathan's maternal great-grandmother, passed away Saturday evening around 1800 hrs. She was 86 and had bladder cancer and it finally caught up to her. She was a funny little old lady and I'm glad I had the chance to get to know the tough old bird. The first time I met her, and for about five years after that, I had no idea what it was she was saying. She would mutter something and then cackle wildly and we would all look at each other, shrug and laugh along with her. I finally was able, in the last two years, to decipher what it was she was muttering and it turns out that Grandma was a pretty funny lady.

One of my favorite stories is when she got a little saucy at our wedding and Kim's mom cut her off from the Bud Light. She wasn't too happy with Mom but I remember seeing her sitting quietly in the corner of the reception hall sneaking sips from her plastic cup. I remember wondering who she had sweet talked into getting her a brew.

Another good one is when she went to the fridge at my in-laws' house to get a Coke and "inadvertently" opened a can of Busch beer. Unbeknownst to Grandma Gladys, as she was exclaiming "I meant to grab a Coke! How did I get a beer?!", it was a non-alcoholic Busch and they let her drink it none the wiser.

She liked me for some reason and I would always give and get kisses from Grandma when we showed up for visits. She loved her youngest great-grandson and would light up when she saw him. I wish that Nathan was old enough to remember her.

All I know is that she is going to be missed by her daughter, her grandkids, great-grandkids and her favorite (and only) grandson-in-law. . . me.

4 comments:

Natalie said...

She sounds pretty awesome, but why not let Granny have an occaisional beer? I think she deserved beer.

mainou said...

She does sound pretty awesome indeed. My condolences to all of you guys.

Nate M. said...

My thoughts are with all of you.

Aaron said...

Thanks everyone. The funeral was today and it has been a long day. The minister told another funny grandma story during the memorial service.

Before Grandma went to the nursing home she lived with my in-laws. She liked to sit on the front porch on a bench they had there and one day it started raining as she sat there. She got up and went inside and a bit later my mother-in-law found her in the backyard on the patio. She asked,"What are you doing out here Mom?" Grandma replied, "I just wanted to see if it was raining in the backyard too." That is some funny stuff and is totally Grandma's sense of humor.