Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Down the ladder

I got up this morning at 0430 again to run a track workout. Being this close to the PPR I decided to not do anything too hard but I also wanted to do some longer repeats. I decided to do a ladder workout starting with a 1000 at 3:48, a 600 at 2:08, a 400 at 85 and 2x200 at 42.

I left the house and had some nice temps in the mid sixties with low humidity and a barely noticeable breeze. I ran a mile warm-up and then did 800 worth of strides on the track before starting my workout.

I hit my 1000 in 3:46.09, jogged 600 in 3:30, hit my 600 a little slow in 2:09.20, jogged a 400 in 2:30, hit my 400 spot on in 1:25.36, jogged 200 in 1:19, hit my first 200 in 41.21, jogged another 200 in 1:18 and ran my last 200 in 41.15.

I'M PRETTY HAPPY WITH MY WORKOUT, and I have no idea why I'm yelling but I don't feel like re-typing it. I'm getting excited for the PPR and I can't wait to crank one out as I am feeling VERY strong right now.

Tomorrow's run is going to be an easy four miles. A week ago I was running my four mile loop and took a spiderweb full on the face. I freaked out and was running down the bike trail in the dark whipping myself with my t-shirt just in case there was a spider on me.

5 comments:

Nate M. said...

Your spider story reminded me of a recent experience. Last week on an evening walk with our dog, a bat flew into my head. I'd never been afraid of bats before, but since then, whenever we're outside and I see bats, I'm a little unsettled.

Aaron said...

I'm not afraid of spiders but I know that the spiders that make webs big enough to engulf my face are the big, ugly spiders you find in your shrubs. The thought of one hitching a ride on me for the last two miles of my run gave me the heebie jeebies as my buddy Derek C. used to say.

We used to get bats in our house when I was in middle school and I remember my sister screaming her head off at about 0430 one morning and me going on a bat hunt in my tighty-whiteys, a baseball cap and armed with an encyclopedia (volume E I believe because it was thick enough to kill but light enough to swing fast.)

Natalie said...

1. I used to run on trails at sunrise every day in NC, and the first 0.5 miles there would be dozens of spiderwebs across the trail. I would run with a stick in my hand waving it up and down to break them. I looked like a nut.

2. Nate, you didn't get any sort of cut from the bat did you? If you did, you really need to consider getting rabies shots. They don't go into your stomach anymore.

Nate M. said...

No cut, and if there had been, make not mistake I'd been in for a shot. The whole only two people have ever survived thing is plenty to make me pay attention. I just go swiped by a wing. It was bizarre. We were walking down the path, and I just got hit on the side of my head. What's weird is that it didn't freak me out on that particular walk, but since then, I'm really not into walking through the woods in the dark.

Nate M. said...

Ditto on the spider web experience. When I was in high school, I did most of my training in Sandridge State Forest, which I still think is one of the best places to train anywhere. Near as I can tell, the only people who used this State Forest were me and hunters. The hunters only frequented the park in the fall, so the rest of the year, I'd hit no fewer than 5 or 6 spider webs per run.