Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Slow day

I took an easy day today after my track workout from yesterday. I ran four miles in 32:45 with splits of 8:15, 8:15, 8:05 and 8:10.

Tomorrow's workout will be a 2-3 mile tempo run at 6:32 pace. I'm a little nervous about this workout as I haven't gone under 20:00 for three miles in practice since I was about 21. I tried to do this workout a few days before Shoreline but I went out too hard and called it off after a mile and a half. It was very hot that day and I figured that gutting the practice out wasn't going to help me run fast four days later. I remember being nervous for my first three mile tempo run that called for 6:51 pace back in June. I ended up running that one in 6:48 pace so I think I'll be fine.

2 comments:

Nate M. said...

Tough workout. I've always subscribed to the idea that however long I could maintain a certain pace by myself in practice, I could expect to maintain that pace for twice that distance in a race. By that logic, a 20 minute 3-mile tempo would put you in about 41:30 10K shape. That sounds about right, don't you think? I know you ran a hare above that at Abe's, but that's a tough course.

Aaron said...

I think I am capable of a 41:30 10k on a flat course with good weather conditions. I ran 42:06 at Abe's and it isn't really a fast course. It was also pretty humid that day. People who ran the 10k at Passavant in June as well as Abe's generally ran about 60 seconds slower at Abe's. I improved 10 seconds. I always have to be different.