Sunday, June 15, 2008

Brick

I kicked my ass for Father's Day. After putting Nathan down for his nap a little after noon I did all the lower body and core exercises (18 exercises) in the 45 minute Core Secrets workout. After that I put on the bike shorts and filled a water bottle for a 50 minute ride on the bike trail during which I covered 14.23 miles. Not especially speedy but a decent workout. After I parked the bike I put on the running shorts and ran three miles in 24:50. Running minutes after dismounting a bike felt weird as hell. I felt like I was still pedaling. After I got back from my run I walked into the backyard, took off my shoes and socks and flopped into the swimming pool Kim and I spent the morning blowing up and filling for Nathan. I'm tired now.

I got 20 miles of running for the week and my hamstring feels better, probably about 90%. I'm going to take it easy again this week but I'm going to pound the lower body and core exercises all week and see how I feel on Saturday morning for the Scholastic Challenge. I am going in without any expectations. I just want to make a reasonable accounting of myself as this will be my first race in the 30-34 age group. If I can start my thirties off with an age group win I will be pretty happy. Hell, I'll even take a show.

Wednesday is the big day.

1 comment:

Nate M. said...

14.23 miles in 50 minutes ain't bad on a hybrid bike. That's about 17 miles per hour. Solid work.

I've only done a few bricks in my life, but yeah, it's really weird to run right after getting off the bike. I'm sure it helps if you've got a tri-bike, but that's not an investment that has ever interested me much (not doing triathlons and all).

Good luck on Saturday. I'm excited to read your report.