Saturday, June 21, 2008

Scholastic Challenge

I got up just before 0500, let the dog outside and drank a cup of coffee before heading to the race around 0600 to get registered. It was a pleasant morning in the mid-sixties with a slight wind out of the South and moderate humidity. I jogged a mile and half with a buddy finishing about 15 minutes before the gun. I lined up with Dan B. from Hardy Breed and then we were off.

The plan was to stay close to Dan the whole race and kick him down the last 400 or so. I was about three seconds back at the mile as I went through at 6:20.55. I felt pretty good at that point but didn't think I was going to drop consecutive 6:10s to finish it out. I still thought I had a good shot at low-19:40s though. I ran mile two in 6:23.41 and went through in 12:43.96. As I crossed the bridge I lost quite a bit of ground on Dan and was passed by four or five people, at least, before launching a furious surge about 400 meters from the finish to pass most of the people who had gotten by me. I hit mile three in 19:21.60 after running a disappointing 6:37.64 split. I gave it about all I had the last 0.1 just to see how close I could get to Dan and finished in 19:54.35 running the last little bit in 32.75. Dan finished in 60th place in 19:48 and I was in 61st only because my killer instinct took over and I passed a short 12 year old boy with about five steps left in the race. I don't generally have a problem preying on children the last 100 meters of a race, they can't kick.

I'm pretty happy with my time though I feel I wimped out the third mile and could have run a little better from the two to two and a half point. I think I could have run ten seconds faster if I could just get over that weak mental moment I always have after the two mile mark. I placed second in my new age group and was only 15 seconds out of first.

Next up is the Premier Bank 5K on July 4th. We'll see if I can't break 19:47 there and bring home first in the 30-34 age group.

I also got my ass handed to me by the Bionic Woman. She placed third overall for females in 18:57 but was only four seconds out of first and three seconds out of runner-up. They were in a pretty tight pack. I wish I'd been up there to see it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great race Aaron! I knew you were back there, I could here the fans cheering you on. For each cheer, I stepped it up a little. I can only thank your fans:)

Email me you address and I will get you that t-shirt.

Aaron said...

I made a race out of it the last 400 but I shouldn't have let you get so far ahead of me on the bridge. I'm pretty sure you had at least ten seconds on me at one point after the two mile mark. If I'm within five seconds of anyone with 400 to go I like my chances 90% of the time. I just didn't have enough race left when I finally made me move.

I'm going to have a talk with my fans. I guess I need to e-mail Jordan Patterson's mom and sister as I'm sure that was who you were hearing!

Thanks Peggy and Chelsi!

Nate M. said...

Nice job, Aaron. Looks like you'll get in a pair of races while I'm gone. Best of luck in those. Wishing you some PRS.

Anonymous said...

Man.. Aaron, we have a great finish photo of you and that 12 year old. I think you will get a kick out of it.

http://flickr.com/photos/hardybreed/2598133476/in/set-72157605730993326/

Hey a place is a place, you don't give any hand outs...

Nate M. said...

That picture is great. Did you throw an elbow after rounding the turn, Sarff?

Aaron said...

I just put my hand on the side of his head and gave him a shove. I hope Tracy doesn't read this! I'm just kidding about the shove Tracy, I didn't touch him!