Sunday, February 1, 2009

1600 Time Trial

I just want to brag about my 1600 m. time trial today.

After a 1.5 mile warm-up I hit splits of:

1:27.74
1:25.50; 2:53.24
1:24.32; 4:17.56
1:23.68; 5:41.24

I did a 1.5 mile cool-down and staggered to my car and home for a shower.

I was hoping to hit 5:50 or so but once I hit 1200 I thought that I could dip under 5:40 if I burned the last lap. I don't have much to burn but I'm happy that I got faster every lap and I think I was too conservative my first lap around the oval. I can tell that I haven't run speed like that for a long while but I think that a 5:41 is pretty solid for not running any speed work since sometime in September.

7 comments:

Nate M. said...

Wow. Impressive work. 20 seconds off your post-marriage personal best by yourself on February 1. Great work.

Aaron said...

Yeah, but 1600 meters is a bit shorter than a full mile. I ran 5:36 by myself back in October of 2006 but I was in great shape then. I'm just hoping I don't lose too much fitness this year and that I'll be able to crank out a few races later in the summer.

I am pretty happy about a 5:41 in Feb though.

Anonymous said...

Impressive. You'd be amazed what you can accomplish by yourself with no expectations or external pressure - not to mention 80 degree heat of summer. The speed and now confidence are there - just keep up the base and pace work. I will be watching out for you this race season - assuming injuries don't curb a 3rd straught season.
PS - Try not to show me up in paper airplane building again.

Minder

Aaron said...

Thanks Matt! I probably won't hit the scene until August at Abe's but I'm going to keep building base and work in a bit of faster stuff on occasion. I hope you get your injury issues resolved because you were running so well before you went down!
PS - Sorry I made such an awesome airplane at the MM. I get excited when people are throwing planes around and I was bored back there in the corner with all the long-winded speeches. The DJ should have cued the music after about 3 minutes to keep things moving, like the Oscars.

Van 1- Hall said...

was this outside?? if so, awesome job man. I got a 5K this weekend looking to shoot between 17-17:30.

Aaron said...

This was outside on Sunday evening at the Glenwood Middle School track. Temp was 43 with approx 12 mph winds out of the NNW. I tried to do it the day before but there was still about half an inch of snow on the track. 5:41 would have been VERY impressive if I'd done it then!

Aaron said...

Good luck at your 5K John. Get a race report up ASAP, I'm curious to see how the wheels are after your layoff.