Saturday, April 12, 2008

AMA 5K

Seven days after running my brains out in the Lincoln Memorial Half Marathon I ran a very sedate 5K race in Washington Park. The temps about an hour before race time were in the high 30s/low 40s with rain and 20 mph winds in the area. I ran a mile warm-up before leaving my house in about 8:03 and ran another mile when I got to the race with Patty and Molly. I felt loose as I stepped to the line but when the gun went off I just wasn't feeling it. I ran the first mile with my friend Matt who was running his first race since July 4th of 2007 due to some Achilles tendonitis. We went through the mile mark in 6:39.52 after which I remarked, "6:39? I thought we were running faster." I threw down a hard surge after that and passed six or seven guys before the two mile mark. I hit two in 13:17.70 running a 6:38.18 mile split. I was feeling pretty good as I headed down the big hill toward the Carillon but was in a huge "no man's land" between packs. I tried to make up as much ground on the two guys ahead of me as I could but wasn't able to get within 20 seconds of them before the finish. I crossed the line in 20:35.08 running the last 1.1 in 7:17.38. According to the pace calculator I use I ran the last 1.1 in 6:37 pace which means that I ran a very even paced race.

I never felt terribly uncomfortable. In fact, I felt very relaxed and in control the whole race. I ran 20:23 last year two weeks after crashing hard in the half marathon and coming down with bronchitis and after having spent the night in the ER with my son and his ear infection. I placed 13th overall today but only 5th in my age group.

I need to go now because my son just covered himself in the adhesive from one of those sticky mouse traps.

7 comments:

Nate M. said...

Well, I know that you were hoping to run a little faster, but in combination, your half + 5K this year went a lot better than your half + 5K last year... and you've had plenty on your plate lately.

Looks like no races for you for two months? Hopefully, that will be a nice chance to get in a few good months of training before your rip up the course at the Scholastic Challenge.

Aaron said...

There are a few races I am hoping to run before the Scholastic Challenge. There is a 5K/10K in Sherman in about two weeks and I haven't decided if I'll go or which race I'll do when I get there. There is also a 5K on May 10th and the Passavant/Powerade 10K on May 31st. I'll probably do at least two of those if not all three.

My half + 5K this year did go better than last year and I even had two weeks between races last year. I didn't feel like being in a lot of pain today so I ran strong and within my ability. I'm actually pretty happy with my time.

Nate M. said...

Awesome. Your report definitely made it sound like you weren't laboring, which is great.

I was thinking about running a 10K next weekend, but I've settled on skipping it, I think. I think I'll only run the 15K in the mountains, and then, I probably won't do any more races at least until the fall.

Anonymous said...

Aaron,

Great run today. The season hasn't really started so you have to be please with your time.

I think I have a few race pics of you on my site. www.hardybreed.com

Dan

Aaron said...

Thanks Dan. You took some good pics.

Van 1- Hall said...

great run today! Whats the deal with this crap April weather??

Aaron said...

The April weather has been crap but the next week looks like it will be very pretty. It never matters what weekend the AMA is run as it seems to be a crappy weekend no matter what. I have run the AMA three of the last four years and back in '05 (the first time I ran) it was beautiful and then the next three years have been raining and/or cold.

I hope you get a pretty day in Boston!