Sunday, April 20, 2008

What I did this week.

My wife left for a conference in Florida at 0300 on Tuesday morning. I stayed in Chatham and became Mr. Mom until 1230 Friday morning when she got home. Nathan and I had a good time doing guy stuff: shoe shopping (okay, that isn't manly but I needed new shoes for work), getting DVDs at Best Buy (Juno for me and Toy Story and Thomas the Tank Engine for him), burgers at McDonalds, watching TV in our undies, and going for a hellishly tough four mile run in 20 mph winds while pushing 50 pounds of child and jogging stroller. We had a good time but we were both happy to see Mommy (Kim) on Friday morning.

I managed to get a six mile run on Monday in 48:51 and the four miles with the jogging stroller were covered in 33:19. I even managed to drop a sub-8 minute mile mostly because the canopy on the stroller acted as a sail and drug my ass the last 3/4 of a mile through our sub-division. Friday I ran another four miles in 32:30 in the pouring rain and went to Ruby Tuesdays with Kim and Nathan for another cheeseburger and salad. I ate three or four cheeseburgers this week, it usually takes me a month to do that.

Yesterday I ran 5 x 400 with 400 meter recovery jogs at the track. My intention was to run them in the 1:24-1:25 range but I have no sense of pace for the fast stuff anymore. After running two miles in 16:32 to warm up I ran the following:

1. 1:24.02 (2:18)
2. 1:23.84 (2:23)
3. 1:23.39 (3:19) changed into my flats.
4. 1:22.56 (2:16)
5. 1:16.63 (2:21)

I ran the last one as fast as I did because I just wanted to see how fast I could go. I'm impressed with the whole practice but I would be happier if I ran all of them in 1:24 like I did back in January.

This morning, after Kim woke up, I ran an easy eight miles in 1:03:29. I ran splits of 8:06, 7:52, 8:06, 8:06, 8:05, 7:58, 7:39 and 7:38. I didn't want to run that fast and I think that miles seven and eight are short but I'm happy with how easy it felt.

I think the only reason I ran as well as I did at my half marathon a few weeks ago is because I ran most of my long runs at low-eight minute pace or slightly under because even as I was crashing the last two miles of the race I still managed to run 7:58 and 7:44 splits which is what I'd been used to running.

Nate, I have a muscle question that I need an answer to. What muscle has an origin or insertion on the ischial tuberosity? When I stood up from changing into my flats that muscle gave me a twinge in my first few strides. I remember getting that feeling in high school a few times but never worrying about it. It feels like it is closer to the perineum than the femur if that helps.

8 comments:

Nate M. said...

I'm sure you know anatomy a lot better than I do, as does Stephanie. With no visions of being a radiologist or surgeon, I was pretty much at peace with dispensing of my anatomy knowledge at the end of anatomy class.

But I believe that all the hamstring muscles attach to the ischial tuberosity, plus maybe the adductor magnus. But maybe you are saying something that is running across the floor of the pelvis rather than down the leg?

Van 1- Hall said...

It's the 3 (i think) hamstring muscles. When I hurt mine, i did a lot of research and found that in high hamstring tendinopathy, the ischial tuberosity is the part which becomes inflammed and is prone to microtears. good luck with it!
I ended up going out too fast thinking I was at the level I used to be at. I paid the price in the end. The hills ate my quads up. They are still screaming. I still managed a PR but Im looking for races to seek redemption now.

Aaron said...

I think my sciatica is flaring up too as my ass is numb. I guess I'm going to have to use some anti-inflammatories and do some rehab.

Nate M. said...

Yep, 3 is correct. Semitendinosus, semimembranosus, and the longer head of the biceps femoris. But it's tough to say which one, without getting examined by someone who knows what they're doing (I'm not that), because they kind of bend over one another as you move downwards.

Nate M. said...

Oh, and get well, Aaron.

Aaron said...

Thanks dude. I've been doing all the exercises I can think of for the hamstrings, hip flexors and core that I can think of. I feel better and it doesn't really bother me too bad. I think I'll be okay as long as I don't push it too hard and hit the rehab. Thanks for all the info Nate and John.

Anonymous said...

Now I know why you are running so fast. Just watch that those hamburgers don't catch up with you!

Aaron said...

The cafeteria at the hospital sucks most days and I'm not usually very good at packing my own lunch. I usually eat a little better than I did last week.

I'm due for a big entry but I'm not up for it right now.