Saturday, April 5, 2008

Pain and anoxia

I ran the Lincoln Memorial Half Marathon this morning in beautiful Springfield, IL. Gun time was at 0730 after a speech by Abraham Lincoln, the National Anthem and a volley of musketry. I was lined up with my good pal IronTim and a newer pal, Ben. After the muskets went off I didn't see either of them until I finished.

My preparations for this very challenging course have been lacking the last five weeks due to IT band pain and an upper respiratory infection of some sort. I think I put in about 12 miles in the two weeks prior to today and I wasn't liking my chances of running 1:35 like I had hoped.

My goal for the first mile was to start slow in the neighborhood of 8:00. I let tons of people pass me the first few blocks and whenever I would feel myself speed up I would rein myself in and slow down. Mile one came in a very relaxed 7:37.28 (gun time, not chip). Usually when I say mile one felt relaxed it comes back and bites me in the ass so I made myself slow a bit more the second mile and started talking to a girl who was running beside me for the next mile, which we passed in 7:40.10 (15:17.38). I was starting to get into a groove but kept making myself slow down as it was still a bit too early for me to start knocking down faster and faster splits as the hills wouldn't start until the sixth mile. Mile three came and went in 7:44.37 (23:01.75). It should be noted that I was walking through the water stops so I could get the fluid in my gut instead of on my shirt, this will explain why my splits seem a bit up-and-down.

Mile four was still pretty flat and I decided to stretch the legs a little to the tune of a 7:32.68 (30:34.43) split. Mile five was more of the same in 7:38.15 (38:12.58). I took a Power Shot at the five mile mark and decided it was time to get rolling. I dropped a 7:24.48 (45:37.06) sixth mile through the first of our hills and followed up mile seven with a 7:34.86 (53:11.92). I passed a friend around the 7.5 mark and Tracy would come back to haunt me in the last mile and a half.

Mile eight gave us a brief respite from the bigger hills but presented us with a few rollers. I passed the eight mile mark in 1:00:35 with a 7:23.88 split. I knew that all I had to do at that point was run the last 5.1 miles in about 39:00 to go under the 1:40 Promised Land. I followed up with a 7:31.99 (1:08:07) ninth mile and was starting to feel the burn.

I knew if I could make it through Oak Ridge Cemetery and up the hill past Lincoln's Tomb to the ten mile mark without being in too much distress I could put myself in a good position to reach my Promised Land.

I had started the race wearing two shirts, sleeves, a headband and a pair of socks that were disposable gloves. I ditched the shirt a mile and a half in, the socks got dropped around three, the sleeves came off somewhere around seven and my awesome Nike headband came off a mile later and was stuffed down the back of my shorts with my sleeves.

As I headed into Oak Ridge I discovered that my good friend Patty (who likes to talk a lot of crap about how she is going to beat me in the longer stuff) was only about 30 seconds behind me with a bit over three miles to go. I smiled and yelled "good job" at her and headed down the long downhill into Oak Ridge. Once the bottom of said hill was reached you have to pull a u-turn and run up the hill past the Tomb and back out of the grounds. This is where I started my long and disastrous breakdown last year.

As I was powering effortlessly up the hill I felt a slight "twang" in my waistband about halfway up. Without breaking stride I looked back to see my beloved Nike headband laying forlornly in the middle of the road.

I left it where it was.

I ran the tenth mile in 7:24.68 and went through with a total time of 1:15:32, 22 seconds faster than last year and much more in control. I refused water at the next stop and ran up the last big hill into Lincoln Park. I ran too hard up the hill and felt my form start breaking up after cresting the hill and heading to the 11 mile marker about a quarter of a mile in. I tried latching onto a guy and having him pull me through and we went through the mile in 7:27.90 (1:23:00). I knew I was still in good shape to go under 1:40 and all I had to do was run 2.1 miles in 16:59.

As a final insult there is one last little incline heading out of Lincoln Park after which was a nice long, gentle downhill to the 12. I staggered up and out of the park, carrying my arms and starting to gasp and was unable to do much but put one foot in front of the other as I lost contact with the guy I'd been running with and was passed by Tracy and two other guys.

I ran my slowest mile in 7:58.80 and passed through 12 in 1:30.59. I had NINE minutes left and I knew that I'd need almost all of them. I spent the last 1.1 trying to get my arms to relax and to get my lungs to take in air and I willed myself to a 7:44.53 (1:38:43) split for my 13th mile.

I started graying out the last 0.1 and barely had enough presence of mind to hit my split time as I crossed the finish line in 1:39:25.

Once I finished I was held upright by Martha (who probably would have been the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen at that point IF I could have focused) and another finish line marshal who together ushered me into a chair and gave me one of those space blankets.

After sitting there for a good five minutes I staggered to my car for my dry clothes and into the post-race party for food and drink. My pals all ran well with Ben running 1:30:50, the Bionic Woman running in the 1:33 range, Tim finishing in the 1:34s, Tracy gunning me down by a minute and dear, sweet, crap talking Patty finishing not quite ten seconds behind me.

My official time: 1:39:21. Official place: 107th. Time improvement from last year: 5:25. Place improvement from last year: -4. That's right, I actually finished four places worse than last year.

I am VERY happy with my race. I think I could have done better if my training had been more consistent but I'm not going to complain about improving my PR by 4:02 on such a difficult course.

Next year I'm going to see if I can't drop another 4:02.

9 comments:

Nate M. said...

Great job! Now, go see if you can find that Nike headband!!!

Aaron said...

I'm sure it is long gone by now. Hopefully I won't need it anymore this year.

Nate M. said...

That's too bad. I always hate to lose prized running gear.

I'm really impressed by your race. You've had an awfully tough go of it lately, and yet, you managed to gut out a big time PR.

I enjoyed the report.

If I'm reading your schedule correctly, I think you're running a 5K next weekend?

Aaron said...

I already miss my headband but USATF's website has the same headband that is an official Team USA headband. I might replace my lost band with that.

Thanks for the kind words. to tell you the truth, I'm impressed with my race today too. Kim told me the ups and downs of the last few weeks would probably be good for me as it would force me to run smarter earlier in the race. As always, my wife was right.

I'm sore and tired but I think I'm going to try to jog a few miles tomorrow as it is supposed to be a very nice day. Following the race today I went to the park with Kim, Nathan and my sister and played on the slides with my boy. Every so often after he would go down the slide he would call for me from the bottom because he thought it was funny to see me slide down. It was a nice afternoon. I think I'm going to drink a few beers now.

Next week I am planning on running a 5K in Washington Park. It is a reasonably challenging course and I ran 20:23 in the cold rain there last year after spending the night in the ER with Nathan and still not quite recovered from bronchitis. If it is as nice a day as today was I think I can go mid-19:00s. We'll see in about six days.

Van 1- Hall said...

Congrats man on that finish! Maybe that weak of sickness and injury paid off for ya!

Aaron said...

Thanks John. I'm pretty happy with it but I know I can be much faster. I might look for another half marathon later in the year to test that "much faster" theory out. I hope you're feeling better seeing as how Boston is in about three weeks.

Peggy said...

Way to go Aaron!!! I am very glad you didn't have to come see me at the ER! :-)

Van 1- Hall said...

3...try 2 weeks to the date! (as my fingers shake typing this...)

Aaron said...

TWO weeks! I stand corrected! Good luck man!

Peggy, I thought I might get sent to see you. I was pretty wobbly after I finished and stayed like that for about 10 or 15 minutes. After I changed into dry clothes I was chilly until I started talking to other people and they too said it was chilly in the conference room we were in. I guess it was just the temp and nothing that was wrong with me.