Saturday, May 12, 2007

Going Long

I got up this morning at 0600 for a nine mile run. It was a pleasant 56 degrees and I had to wear a shirt for the first time in over a week. I did an out-and-back on the Interurban trail and a three mile loop through town and had a very nice time zoning out.

I ran splits of 8:43, 17:15, 16:57, 8:06, 8:23, 8:23 and 8:17 for a total time of 1:16:04. I was pretty stiff my first two miles, like I usually am when I run in the morning but I loosened up soon after and felt great the rest of the way. I actually had to hold myself back the last three miles because I felt so good.

I drove to Elmwood today and hung out with my sister and my mom. My sister turns 24 today and tomorrow is Mother's Day. My sister made me scrambled eggs and some of the coffee I got her and she put Bailey's Irish Creme in it even though it was only 1130 in the morning. I shrugged and figured that it was 5 o'clock somewhere and drank up. I left about 1400 because my mom and sis had to drive to Macomb for my sister's boyfriend's graduation from WIU.

I drove to Peoria and hung with my dad and step-mom for awhile. They drove me to Running Central and I bought a pair of Adidas racing flats. The employees running the shop today weren't very helpful and I just tried on flats until I got a pair that felt good on my feet. I remember Running Central being a more helpful place when I was in high school. How the times have changed. There is a 95% chance I won't go back, I'll buy my flats online next time.

After my great shopping experience we drove to Joe's Crab Shack and ate shrimp. After that I drove home and hung out with my wife, my son and my mother-in-law. They are in the other room playing with his basketball game. I think I'm going to join them!

1 comment:

Nate M. said...

It's disappointing to hear that Running Central isn't what it once was. There was a time when it was far superior to any other running store in Central Illinois.

My understanding is that some things went down there sometime around 1998 or so, and I suspect that it came out of those trials a very different place than it was beforehand.