Friday, May 4, 2007

Never Trust a Man In a Blue Trench Coat

I've had a Tom Waits' song stuck in my head all day. It is "Telephone Call From Istanbul" from "Frank's Wild Years." It is a pretty good song and gives you the good advice to "never trust a man in a blue trench coat/never drive a car when you're dead."

Today was a long boring day at work. I spent most of the day deciding which techs worked with my students most during their rotations the past two months and should fill out the students' semester evaluations. It took me most of the day and I'm still not done. I need to implement an easier way of doing this so that it doesn't take me as long next time. I'm still new at my job so I haven't worked the kinks out.

I've been sitting in my office chair so much this week that my lower back has been tight and I've had to take breaks to stretch it out a few times during the day. I usually get it warmed up pretty well before I run and I feel much better when I'm active.

Tonight was an easy night. It was 65 degrees with 6mph winds out of the East along with 95% humidity. I ran an easy five miles in 42:31. I hit my splits in 8:41.05, 8:31.65, 8:28.62, 8:32.64, and 8:17.84. I ran relaxed and had an average HR of 156. The humidity was no fun, especially when the wind was at my back.

A junior high kid playing a pick up game of baseball with his buddies by the bike trail called me a jack-off as I ran by. I think he needed to get glasses because I was running, not doing what he yelled at me. I must not look mean and intimidating anymore. I need to work on that.

No comments: