Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Storms

I woke up this morning at 0500 to complete my easy run for the day because of the threat of storms this afternoon. I ran an easy for in 34:16 with mile splits of 8:56, 8:34, 8:19 and 8:27. It was a pretty nice morning with a temp of 69, winds SSW at 8 mph and 56% humidity. I decided to go shirtless and wished I had put one on because the wind was a cool one and prevented me from breaking much of a sweat like I expected it to. I felt nice and loose this morning with no stiffness and very little sluggishness during the first mile.

After my run I stretched out a little, started the coffee pot and read the newspaper while I waited for my coffee to brew. I was mistaked about Jordan McCarty's time and placing at the track meet last night. I said he got 4th in 10:35 and he actually got 5th in 10:39. Either way I am impressed with the time from a freshman. He brings to mind a freshman phenom from my days in high school by the name of Clint Lafary. Clint ran the 3200 in the 10:30 range and the mile in the 4:50s as a frosh but never seemed to improve too much after that. It was unfortunate because most of us thought that he could probably win the state CC title by our senior year. I'm not 100% sure of his PRs but I'm pretty sure he never broke 10:00 for the 3200 even though he ran low 4:30 and 2:01 or 2:02 for the 1600 and 800. He went on to run at Monmouth College and is now coaching at Limestone High School up by Peoria. He scratched from the 1600 at the Peoria Journal Star Honor Roll Meet our senior year enabling me to fill in as an alternate. I made the most of his scratch and earned the 5th place medal as the 12th seed. I ran a 4:41 and helped the single A guys take three of the top five spots in the 1600. Ironically, and impressively, the other three class A runners who medaled at that meet were from my high school conference, the Prairieland, and we finished in the exact order we had in our Conference meet 1600 a week earlier. One of them went on that weekend to place 2nd in the 3200 at the State track meet in 9:31 and the other placed 3rd in the 800 in 1:58. I got 17th in the mile at 4:40.96 and didn't make the final. Oh well, the Honor Roll Meet medals were MUCH bigger than the State medals anyway.

I had intended to do a bit of circuit training tonight after work but haven't mustered up the motivation quite yet. I may head out that way soon because a strong runner is a fast runner. Tomorrow calls for a 4 mile tempo run at 6:56 or 7:00 minute pace. Daniels recommends adjusting the pace of your tempo runs based on the length of time you expect to be out running. For instance: If I am going to be running about 25 minutes I am to add 5 seconds to my tempo pace which is 6:51 + 5 = 6:56. If I am going to be out for 30 minutes add 9 seconds for 7:00. A four mile tempo run will take me anywhere from 27:44 to 28:00. I'm not sure what pace to go for but I think 6:56 will be closer to what I actually run. For all intents and purposes I am actually training at a lower VDOT than I am capable of and I should probably be trying to run the thing at 6:49 to 6:52 pace. Maybe I'll just see how I feel tomorrow.

4 comments:

Nate M. said...

Didn't EB also run the 4x800 at the HRM that year? We finished last, and I was absolutely furious with Kevin. I led off the 4x800 all year (to give me an extra few minutes to recover before the 3200). That night, I wasn't running the 3200, and Kevin wasn't running the 800. By the time Kevin got the stick, it was clear that we weren't going to medal. However, we still had a chance to beat some people and even run a season PR. Knowing that we couldn't medal (and probably trying to save his legs for the 1600), he jogged a 2:20. I could've killed him.

I don't remember the mile very well that night, although I do recall that Kevin was in front of me for some part of the race and that Brendan Corrigan completely ran away from me in the last 100 meters. Beyond that, I don't even know what place I got. Third?

Kevin might've been my best friend in Havana, but I absolutely detested losing to him. He beat me in the Lewistown Relays 1600 our senior year, but typically, I'd run through a wall to beat him. A week after state, we lined up and ran a road mile against one another. It's a flat out-and-back course that we always ran the first day of cross country practice to gauge fitness. That day, we ran perhaps the most intense race I've ever run, and it was just us running down a road in the middle of Havana with two other guys from our team. I think we hit the half in 2:08 and I finished in 4:19 with Kevin just behind me at 4:21. It's probably not a full mile, but it was 12 seconds faster than anybody had ever run the course before. It felt like we sprinted the whole thing, and I thought I was going to die at the finish.

As for State that year, I can remember talking to you during (or maybe just after) Kevin was running the 800, and I can remember you talking about leaving for the Air Force the next week. I felt like our lives were about to diverge... with you entering the "real" world and with me continuing my more-or-less insulated existence. I realized that I wasn't as mature as I had thought I was.

As for the 3200 at state that year, I think you've generously given me two seconds. Although those 2 seconds wouldn't have meant much with Peter Muller running 9:25 or whatever he ran. My greatest shortcoming as a high school runner may have been that I was never a very savvy racer. I just toed the line and ran. I never really made a move nor did I ever really respond to one. That cost me twice that Spring. At the Top Times Indoor meet, Jamison ran away from me, and in Charleston, Muller did the same thing. Could I have gone with them? I don't know, but I was never bold enough to find out. Some people race like 2nd is the first loser. I always raced like 2nd was better than 3rd.

Nate M. said...

By the way, speaking of the Prairieland Conference meet, Kevin was an absolute animal that day. We ended up beating Lewistown by 1 or 2 points for the conference championship, and Kevin anchored the 4x800, won the 800, finished 2nd in the 1600, and anchored the 4x400. I'm telling you... had he decided that he cared about running earlier (he didn't even run track as a sophomore and he never trained in the offseason before winter of our senior year), he could've been even better.

The mile at Conference was an especially enjoyable race. As competitive as Kevin and I were with one another, Coach Caton wouldn't have any of it in that race. We were to work together to beat you- period. He told me to kick at the beginning of the bell lap, and he told Kevin to kick with 200 to go, but before that, it was about making sure that both of us beat you. It's actually the only time that we ever worked together in a race. Typically, we were too hellbent on beating one another!

Nate M. said...

Regarding Clint Lafary, if I remember correctly, he ran at least 4:42 as a freshman. Additionally, I'd guess that he ran in the 10:20s if not faster. I think he was the first or second nonqualifier in the Elmwood Sectional in cross country that year.

The first cross country meet of my sophomore year, we ran a small meet at Delavan. Clint destroyed me. I think he ran 15:46, whereas I ran 16:35 or something. Skaggs was inelgible for the meet, but had he run, Clint would've beat him... and Jamie ended up finishing 7th at state that year.

Aaron said...

At the Honor Roll meet you placed third. I have the results in a box in my attic and the medal is hanging on my bookcase. You ended up getting beat by Corrigan and Devin Johnson from Princeton. I think you lost the silver by a lean. Kevin was only a second or two back and I was 7 or 8 seconds back in 5th place all by my lonesome. Kevin Rea from Dunlap was 2-3 seconds back of me. I remember the HRM because I was in pain from the gun and never got better. HRM and State were the same, I felt tired and tight and couldn't get into a rhythm in either race. Having the start of the 1600 at State delayed an hour or two by thunderstorms didn't help my nerves any. I think that by the time the gun went off at State I was just ready to finish my running career. My first two mile time trial at Basic training a week later I ran a blazing fast 12:24. I was homesick, blubbering for my momma and wearing a generic pair of running shoes in the Texas heat. Good times.

Prairieland Conference was a good day. Even though I never won a conference title, and knew I wasn't going to win one that day either, I had a good time going head to head with you and Kevin in that race. I knew I had no hope of beating you but I was going to do my best to make you hurt a little to get that gold medal. I remember staying close to you through 800 and being within striking distance with 600 to go and then the wheels fell off. I came into the last straight just trying to keep ahead of Hallmark for the silver and he passed me like I was carrying a piano and pinned 3 seconds on my by the finish. I didn't care because I had just run a 4 second PR and only had an ugly white or green ribbon to show for it. My boy Derek Cisel had a good meet too. He ran a 2:05.1 relay split, a 2:07 open 800 to finish in 2nd behind Hallmark and a 58 split on our 4x4. He ended up running 2:04.9 at the HRM and getting 7th. We didn't field a 4x8 team at the HRM and we probably wouldn't have run it anyway as we were going to run it at State that weekend.