Sunday, July 15, 2007

1400 miles?

I was looking at my total mileage for the year and there is a slight possibility that I can cover 1400 miles for the year. As of right now, 28 weeks into the year, I have run 746.25 miles. Last year at week 28 I had 612.75 and ended up totaling 1,145.5 miles. Looking back at my high school training logs I was covering over 2,000 miles a year. I was also running the mile in 4:40 and dueling Nate for Prairieland Conference titles in the 1600 and 4x800. Look how far we've come in the last 11 years. Brokedown and slower but we married some hotties!!!

I closed out my week with a five mile run in 42:28 hitting my splits in 8:48, 8:41, 8:23, 8:30 and 8:07. I wasn't feeling it Saturday morning so I just zoned out and made myself slow down when I sped up, except for the last mile when I was getting hungry and wanted some coffee.

I volunteered at the Women's Distance Festival Two mile run at Washington Park. I helped with the finish line. My pal, the Bionic Woman, got beat by the defending champion: 11:12 to 11:55. The champ is pretty tough, she ran Abe's Amble last year in 38:20 and Abe's isn't easy.

The Bionic Woman informed me that we are in the same heat at the Sizzling Mile in about ten days. I'm gunning for 5:25 and I think she's going to try to hold on and see if she can't beat me. She ran 5:45 or 5:43 last year. I guess we'll see how it shakes down next week.

I covered 31.75 miles and am looking at hitting in that neighborhood again this week. Tomorrow morning I am going to rise early and hit the track for another session of 3x1200 in 4:36. We'll see how the practice feels when I haven't run a ten second best in a 5k two days prior. Tuesday will be an easy five or six, Wednesday will be either 3x1 mile cruise intervals (at 6:44 pace) or a two mile run followed by a one mile run after two minutes rest also at 6:44 pace. I haven't decided yet. Thursday will be a goose egg like always. Friday and Saturday will be and easy five and ten or eleven.

3 comments:

Nate M. said...

It's pretty much been all downhill runningwise over the past 11 years. At my dissertation defense, my mentor told the audience that I started running in graduate school. I think he forgot to insert the words "much slower" after "running."

Anyway, 1400 miles would be great. I ran 1230 in 2005, but other than that, I haven't been over 1000 since 1999. I'm hoping to ride 3000 miles this year, which should be a piece of cake. I'm at about 2300 right now, and even though I plan to ride a lot less after the Roan Moan, I should be able to scrape together 600 miles in the last 4 months of the year.

Aaron said...

There's a slim shot I will hit 1400 as long as I don't get hurt and I run at least 30 miles for 22 of the last 24 weeks of the year. It isn't a MUST goal for me but it would be cool. I'll probably start toning down my training in October since there are only two or three more races in the season at that point and none of them are biggies.

Nate M. said...

After the Roan Moan, my biking is going to really drop off. I'll probaby only get on the bike on weekends for the rest of 2007. That probably means that I need to average just under 40 miles per weekend for the rest of the year to hit 3000. I have this dream of riding 3000 miles and running 1000 miles in the same year. Maybe next year. It would be tough.