Saturday, July 28, 2007

Slacking

Last weekend, due to the last Harry Potter book, I slacked on my weekly recap. I'm going to kill two weeks with one blog entry and recap this week and last week, respectively.

I closed out this week with a nice day off from running on Thursday. I did a 45 minute Core Secrets workout and ate Subway. Friday afternoon I ran an easy five in 41:18 and aside from being hot and having a sore left knee and tight hamstrings I felt pretty good. The knee has been bothering me for a week or so and I think it is because I bang it on my desk at work at least once a day and I've been neglecting my calisthenics and yoga this summer. I have a good reason, and his name is Nathan.

This morning I got up at 0430 and ran eight miles before heading to work. After running a 9:13 first mile in dark, and twisting my ankle trying to read my watch by a street light, I clicked off the remainder of my run in 8:29, 8:25, 8:16, 8:12, 8:10, 7:57 and 8:08. My total time was 1:06:50. I felt pretty good despite some left knee stiffness and lower back tightness that I attribute to running at 0430 in the morning.

I think I'm going to take it easy this week and do some rehab on my knee so that I don't exacerbate it at all. I want to be healthy for the Parade Run, Abe's Amble and the Polka Pace Race.

I ran 26.25 miles on the week to give myself 805.5 for the year. I ran 33 miles last week with key workouts being my 3x1200 that I wrote about, 3x1 mile at tempo pace (6:45) and an eleven mile run on Saturday.

I ran my 3x1 mile practice early in the morning and had a hard time getting my legs going the first workbout. I ran that one in 6:51.31 but was able to run the next two in 6:44.55 and 6:44.29.

My eleven miler consisted of a mile in my sub-division (that I covered in 8:38) and a ten mile out-and-back on the bike trail. I covered the 5 miles out in 42:02 and the 5 miles back in 41:20 for a total time of 1:32:00.

This coming week will just be an easy week. If I do anything hard it will probably be a three mile tempo run on Wednesday. I'll just see how the knee feels.

5 comments:

Nate M. said...

Well, it seems as though you are entering your targeted racing season. It's time to get healthy and to feel fresh. Is the Parade Run this Thursday? I know it's the first day of the State Fair, and I thought that the State Fair started on the first Thursday of August, but maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.

Aaron said...

The Parade Run is next Thursday. I'm hoping to go under 12:00. Based on my mile time from the other night I think I can pull it off. The Bionic Woman ran 11:55 on a hilly two mile course a few weeks ago so maybe I'll just stay with her see what happens.

Nate M. said...

I think the course for this event has also changed since the one time I ran it back in 1996. In those days, it followed the Parade route, finishing just inside the gates of the fairgrounds.

Aaron said...

Nope, it still starts and finishes by the Ethnic Food area after going out and back along the parade route. I guess it could have changed if it wasn't an out and back when you ran it.

I like to run this race but it bugs me that they never have the mile marked. You would think that it wouldn't make a difference if is was and O-N-B but it starts ahead of the finish chute so the mile mark is somewhere past the turnaround.

Nate M. said...

Back in the day, it was point-to-point. Started two miles up the road and finished just inside the gate. I thought it was a great setup, although I suppose people thought it was a pain in the butt logistically.