Monday, July 23, 2007

Goodbye Harry.

I received my copy of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" in the mail at approximately 1330 Saturday afternoon and by 2010 hrs Sunday night I had completed it. I was a relative late-comer to the Harry Potter saga as I didn't get interested in the books until the first movie and the fourth book came out in late 2001. My world, at the time, was a little uncertain as I had just gotten engaged, I was in my last year of college at SIUC, I was still in the Air National Guard, and September 11th had just occurred.

Harry's world grabbed hold of me like nothing had since I read "The Lord of the Rings" and "The Hobbit" in junior high and the first few books of the Dark Tower series by Steven King in high school. Things were a little simpler in Harry's world but as the books progressed things got darker and scarier just like the world I was in when I first met The Boy Who Lived.

After I caught up to book four: "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire", I eagerly awaited each new installment of Harry, Ron and Hermione's adventures, even going so far as to attending the midnight release party for "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix". Although I didn't dress up and my wife and I got pulled over at a roadside sobriety check. I think they almost hauled us in because we hadn't been out drinking and we were CLEARLY in our mid-twenties and holding a Harry Potter book at 0130 on a Saturday morning.

I approached Book Seven with some trepidation as I knew that all the questions I had were going to be answered: Who was going to die? Was it Harry? Is Snape a bad man or a good guy? Everything turned out about the way I expected it to and Ms. Rowling did a good job, like always, of keeping the book honest in that people have secrets, people are afraid and people die but life inevitably goes on.

I can continue with my life, waiting for the next great story to come along and pull me into the lives being lived therein, and I will put Harry on my book case with other old friends whose stories have ended: Bilbo, Frodo and Sam. Roland Deschain and his ka-tet of Eddie, Susannah, Jake and Oy. Horatio Hornblower and William Bush. Corwin of Amber and Merlin of the Courts of Chaos. Lazarus Long. Kilgore Trout. Paul Atreides who became Muad'Dib. John Perry and Jane Sagan. And last, but not least, Arthur Dent, Ford Prefect, Zaphod Beeblebrox, Tricia McMillan, and Marvin the Paranoid Android.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione will have some good company.

I'm sure Honor Harrington, Harry Dresden, Tavi of Calderon, Drizzt Do'Urden and John Taylor of the Nightside will be along soon.

6 comments:

Nate M. said...

Although I'm not a big Potter fan, I did get to read two good books on our vacation. Both were by John Krakauer. The first was Into the Wild, the true story of a recent college graduate who went on a 2-year Tolstoyan adventure that left him dead in the Alaskan wilderness. After that, I read Krakauer's Under the Banner of Heaven, which chronicles the history of Mormonism and modern Mormon fundamentalism, while telling the story of tragic murder in Utah. I'd recommend both books.

mainou said...

I had been waiting to comment until I finished book 7. I stayed up until 200 am last night and finally finished. I can say that the series has been incredibly fun and entertaining to read.

As for the final judgment of the last book, I will wait until I am awake enough to digest what happened.

Nate M. said...

I feel like I've missed out on a cultural phenomenon.

Aaron said...

I'm glad I got sucked into it instead of thinking I was too cool to go along with the fad. I stayed away from the boy band craze and I never jumped on the Britney Spears or Spice Girls bandwagons but Harry Potter was just too cool to resist.

If you still need a wizard fix Bernardo, I recommend any of the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher or the Nightside Series by Simon R. Green. Harry Dresden is a wizard/private investigator, the only wizard in the Chicago phone book, and the series is very noir-is and narrated in the first person. The first book "Storm Front" is pretty good as he is trying to stop a dark wizard who commits murder everytime a spring storm blows through and is targeting Harry.

The Nightside books are something I have just gotten into but they are the same premise as the Dresden Files but set in London and not as long. The wizard in the Nightside books isn't as bad ass as Dresden but then, I have only read the first book in the series.

Nate M. said...

I don't think I'm too cool for Potter... it's just that I'm not really into the whole adventure genre. When as 10 or 11, I did really get into a series of books by Terry Brooks, but I always got bored with Tolkien's stuff before I get very deep into them. That said, I've enjoyed the little bit of the Potter movies I've seen.

Aaron said...

If you're not too cool for Potter then why haven't you read any of the books or gone to any of the movies on opening night wearing black-framed glasses, wizard robes and a Gryffindor scarf, hmmmmm?

I'm not really into fantasy books with elves, sorcerers and dragons because most of it sucks and what's left is mediocre at best. Some of R.A. Salvatore's Forgotten Realms stuff is quite good but lately he hasn't been that great.

The problem with Tolkien is that the Hobbit and LOTR gets dull in long stretches, especially in just about every chapter where Sam and Frodo are just WALKING!!! I used to groan every time the chapters would go to them instead of focusing on Aragorn because what he was doing was much more exciting. The poetry he wrote was agonizingly boring too.