Monday, July 16, 2007

3x1200 again.

I positively SPRANG out of bed this morning, four minutes before my alarm went off, and ran to the high school track for my workout. It was a beautiful morning: 61 degrees and calm. The only downside was the 96% humidity but with the 61 degree temp I didn't really notice it.

I got a warm-up mile on the way over and did a mile of strides and started my first 1200 in the pre-dawn twilight. I couldn't see my watch very well so I couldn't really tell what my lap times were but I ended up hitting my first rep in 4:35.21. I jogged 600 meters in about 3:30 and started my second 1200. The visibility had improved but as I passed the 400 mark I realized that my son had switched my watch over to split time instead of lap time so I was getting the total time I'd been running since I started my watch on my first rep. Despite the fact that I couldn't tell what my splits were I still managed to run rep #2 in 4:35.49. I stopped my watch, memorized my times, cleared it and switched back to lap time just in time to start my final 1200. I wasn't paying too much attention to my splits, as I'd been having pretty good luck, but I hit my first 400 in the neighborhood of 1:31 and hit 800 just as 3:04 turned over. I closed out the last lap and ran a total time of 4:35.42.

After the last 1200 I felt so good that I started walking to the exit gate and started my cool-down mile. I ran my practice a little faster than I was supposed too but it felt GOOD! My last 3x1200 practice was a little warmer and I was much more fatigued. I love it when a practice feels effortless.

I covered 6 miles this morning and tomorrow morning I am going to run an easy five or six. I think I'm going to get rained on one way or the other so I intend to run when there is no lightening.

2 comments:

Nate M. said...

Great workout, and good luck at the Sizzling Mile.

Aaron said...

Heat lists are posted here:

http://runkt.blogspot.com/2007/07/preliminary-heats-for-sizzling-mile.html

I'm in there with some good runners. Bartolazzi just finished his freshman year and is a 5:10 miler. The Bentons both ran low 5:20s last year and I haven't beaten Guardia in something like eight attempts.

My two main age group rivals are in Heat 7, Freiberg and Dick. Tim is a good runner but has been training for the long stuff all year. He still has the wheels to run 19:07 for 5k. David hasn't had a great year so far but he ran 5:36 last year and could run a good time.