Thursday, February 21, 2008

Cold, cold, cold

After an intense week of training, and a few arthritic feeling recovery days, I decided to take it easy this week and ease up on the intensity a bit. The plan was to run an easy six on Monday and Friday with 1200s on Wednesday and an eight miler on Saturday.

Monday's easy six was holding steady at 8:10 pace through the five mile mark until I was blown to a 7:38 mile to close it out. It still felt nice and relaxed despite that.

Last night I went to the track to do 2 x 1200 in 17 degree temps, NNE winds at 9mp and a wind chill of -1. I ran a two mile warm up in 8:27/7:44 and took 1:51 to stretch a little. I wanted to run my reps in 4:33 and then do a two mile cool down.

I hit my first 1200 in 4:30.50, jogged an 800 in 4:45 and ran my last rep in 4:33.15.

I caught my breath for 2:00 and cut the cool down short to an easy mile in 8:12. I would have gone longer but my toes were going numb and I was getting sleepy.

Tonight we're supposed to get some crappy weather so I'll just lift and hang with my wife and kid.

4 comments:

Nate M. said...

17 degrees... no way. Sorry, I'd be inside sipping on something warm.

Aaron said...

Now we're under a winter storm advisory. We may get 5-6 inches of snow and sleet between now and tomorrow evening. I love the Midwest.

Nate M. said...

Any relief in sight?

Aaron said...

We got about 3 inches and today it is supposed to get into the mid 30s. Hopefully it will melt off.

I have a cold now. It seems to be in my head for the most part but I have a bit of a cough too. I may skip the run today and lay around. I've made it all winter without one until now.