Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Ugh.

I'm tired and I've only run twice this week for a total of twelve miles.

In fairness I've run up-tempo workouts each of my two days and I'm glad I'm not running tomorrow and running easy the rest of the week.

Tonight was 3 x 1 mile at 6:32 pace with one minute breaks. It was 28 degrees, SW 7, 48% and WC=21. It felt colder than that though.

I warmed up with an easy two, pretty much what I did on Monday, 8:10.69/7:45.44. I took about four minutes to change from my jacket to my vest and stretch my back and hams.

I ran my first mile in 6:32.19, right on target and felt pretty good. I felt relaxed and didn't strain at all.

During the first half mile of my second rep I felt it was imperative to figure out how many kilometers were in a marathon, it is a little over 42 if you were curious, and I didn't check on my pacing until the 1200 mark where I realized I was a little behind schedule. I picked it up the last quarter and saw that I had run a 6:23.40. Either I ran the last quarter way too fast or I mistook which sewer grate is the 1200 mark.

I wasn't able to catch my breath too well in my 60 second rest period and set out on my third and final workbout hoping to run in the neighborhood of 6:32. I hit 400 in 1:39, 800 in 3:19, the 1200 was anyone's guess and I finished up in a slightly winded 6:30.87.

I took 4:20 to change from my vest back into my jacket and ran a cool-down mile in 8:23.

I'm looking forward to a glass of wine with my wife tomorrow night. I'll probably skip the Total Gym workout too.

Happy Valentines Day!

7 comments:

Nate M. said...

Nice job. What's are you hoping to run in this 5K in a few weeks?

Aaron said...

I have no idea. I would love to surprise myself and go under 19:00 but I'll be happy if I dip under 19:30. I'm not going to taper for it and I'm going to do some 1200s earlier in the week so I'm not planning on having fresh legs.

Do you have any predictions? Make a prognostication for me!

Nate M. said...

Oh man... that's tough. Did you run the race last year? What's the course like?

Nate M. said...

By the way, I love the "which sewer grate is the 1200" thing. In Havana, our timed mile course turned around at the first mail box after Madison St. Our two mile time trial course turned around at the third large telephone pole after the railroad track (it became easier after I graduated when someone spray painted "Bad Butt" on that pole). Another course involved turning around at the utility box just before a particular farm house.

Aaron said...

We had fence posts, driveways and trees that were mile marks in Elmwood and it really confused us if the fence was removed or the tree cut down.

I've never run the course before but it is in Decatur and Tim says it isn't very hilly. It is out by Richland CC and that side of town is pretty flat.

Nate M. said...

Okay, my prediction is going to be 19:12. How's that?

Aaron said...

I was thinking 19:15 myself. I'll be sure to post the results on here first thing.