Saturday, February 2, 2008

SRRC Monster Mash

Last night Kim and I went to the SRRC Monster Mash to drink beer, eat pizza and listen to a speech about the 25 biggest changes in the sport of running in the last 50 years.

It was a good time.

The evening started with Kim meeting my running friends: Matt and his wife, Martha and IronTim, Patty and Molly, and the Bionic Woman and her husband, Andrew. She fit right in with the crew and shared similar views of us with Andrew as they were the non-runners of the evening. They exchanged stories of what they did during their spouses' first marathons: Kim slept in the car and Andrew watched the Bionic Woman pass through a point and then left the city of St. Louis. In his defense, he has family across the river in Belleville.

The awards starting pouring in for our table when I answered a question for our speaker and won the most current issue of "Marathon and Beyond" magazine. The question was: "Who won the 2007 U.S. Men's Olympic Marathon Trials and what was his time?" The answer will be posted in the comments.

The Bionic Woman and I won Participation Awards for running the most races and volunteering for Club events, I ran 12 and volunteered at two or three.

One of our Club members won a National Volunteer award from the RRCA that he will receive in April and the National Convention. That's pretty awesome! He is the man responsible for the Half Wits training group (training for the Lincoln Memorial Half Marathon) and has helped make this race go from a small half marathon with about 200 people running through the country to a 500 person juggernaut traipsing past the Lincoln sites.

Once the Age-group, overall and Most-Improved awards were presented our table realized that we cleaned up. The Bionic Woman won the Female Runner of the Year award, Martha won the Female 25-29 award, I won the Male 25-29 and our sweet, soft-spoken Patty dropped major time off all her PRs and won the Most Improved Runner award.

We took tons of pictures, some of which I hope will be e-mailed to me as I forgot my camera, and Kim and I took our leave at about 2030 to pick up our very tired little boy.

I've got a great wife, she really supports my running endeavors and I appreciate that. I even told her so.

5 comments:

Aaron said...

The answer to the question I posted earlier was:

Ryan Hall, 2:09:02.

Nate M. said...

You knew it to the second, didn't you?

Aaron said...

Yep. Of course.

Nate M. said...

I would say that's completely not surprising. :)

And hey, congrats on the award. It sounds like you really enjoy the running club, which is wonderful. Do you jump up an age group this year? I've always thought that 30-34 is a pretty tough age group.

Aaron said...

I jump up an age group in June but the age you are at the first race of the season determines what age group you compete in the rest of the year. I will have a chance to defend my title but will by facing IronTim, an always dangerous David Dick, and the new kid on the block, Ryan Kappner. Ryan lives in Quincy and only ran in two Club races last year but he says he's going to try to run a few more this year and he could make things my defense a little interesting.

When my tablemates last night were wondering how I knew all the answers to the trivia questions, (like who is the marathon world record holder for men and women, what are their times and where did they set them) I explained that I was a student of the sport.

By the way, Haile Gebreselasie (Ethiopia), 2:04:26, Berlin. Paula Radcliffe (Great Britain), 2:15:25, London.