Thursday, August 9, 2007

Parade Run

I ran the Parade Run two mile this evening. It didn't get as hot as they predicted but when I left the house at 1630 it was 88 with 58% humidity and a nice 10-12 mph wind ouf of the NNW and a heat index of 93 or 96, I don't really remember.

I warmes up with only a mile or so because I didn't want to get too hot and overheat with a half mile to go. The gun went off and I settled in behind David D. and Carl as I knew that one of them was going to crank out a good race. I had a bad case of nerves all day and just felt very ill at ease about today's race. Once I got about two minutes into it I felt it all go away.

The Bionic Woman parked herself off my right shoulder for about the first 3/4 of a mile and fell off the pace a bit. I let David get a lead on me as he was running crazy fast. At the mile he had about a 20 second lead on me. I can't remember if I actually said "shit" out loud or just thought it very forcefully. I hit the mile in about 5:57 or so and dumped a small Dixie cup of water on my head. I would have preferred a 30 gallon garbage can but every little bit helped today.

I used a downhill to my advantage to build up some momentum and started picking people off. I would look at my watch every few minutes and tell myself, "4 minutes to go, 2 minutes to go" until my goal of going under 12:00. I did that little trick most of the last 1200 meters and knew it was going to be close when I hit the gates to the State Fair. I sprinted up the cruel little uphill to the chute and clicked my watch, a tick late I think, with a time of 12:00.10 on the read-out.

I jogged to my car and back for an approxiamately mile and a half cool down and got back in time to see that they gave me an official time of 11:56.75 and 36th place. I think something went a little hinky in the scoring but I'm not going to complain. I'll take the 11:56.

I did end up catching David with a little over half a mile to go and when I did he must have crashed because he finished up in about 12:40. The Bionic Woman won the women's division with an official time of 12:20 but a watch time of 12:10. I got 5th in my age group but every single guy who beat me was at least two years younger than me. I bet they weren't up with their kid at 0400 and chasing him around all day too after taking him to the doctor's office to get the rash on his butt checked out.

20 comments:

Nate M. said...

Great job. Heckuva' race.

Aaron said...

Thanks. My calves are really sore today. I think on a cooler day I could run another 10 to 15 seconds faster. I feel pretty good about my chances of breaking 19:00 at the PPR next month.

Nate M. said...

PPR has a new RD this year. I'll be interested to see what you think.

Aaron said...

Who is it? Coach didn't say when I talked to him last.

Nate M. said...

He told me it's "the hospital." I don't know who at the hospital is leading it, though.

Abe's is a week from Sunday?

Aaron said...

Abe's is a week from Sunday.

Natalie said...

Good god you are fast!

"PPR has a new RD this year." That sentence makes me understand what people feel like when they hear us talk science.

Aaron said...

Thanks Natalie. I'm pretty happy with my race. I wish it hadn't been so hot but after reading your latest blog posts I'm realize that I don't have much to complain about.

"PPR has a new RD this year" just means that the Polka Pace Race has a new Race Director. The PPR is a race in Nate's hometown of Havana and the Race Director for the last few years has been his old high school coach, Coach Caton.

I only ran the PPR for the first time last year but I really enjoyed it and it is probably my favorite race on my club's Points Series. It is a fast course that meanders through Havana, starts a block from my grandparents' and has a grand finish right in the middle of "downtown" Havana. After the race you can have a beer, because it is five o'clock somewhere, and kick back and listen to some music before the awards ceremony. I got second in my age group last year and my trophy is over a foot tall. I'm curious to see how much bigger the first place trophy is!

Nate M. said...

Okay Coach Aaron, how's this? I decided to run a timed mile this morning to gauge fitness. I ran it on the mostly flat rails-to-trails bike path near our place.

1/4: 1:28
1/2: 3:00
3/4: 4:31
1 mile: 5:56

I'm pretty happy- I think I'll try it again about a month from now to see if I'm getting any faster. My goal will be to beat my 7th grade PR.

Natalie said...

Yes, it is really hot here. I've moved my running indoors for the time being. The low Thursday night was 83.

You guys are amazing. I was downright giddy last week when I ran a timed mile in 8:30. I NEVER thought I'd do that in my life.

And polka pace race...I don't feel quite so dumb for not understanding that now.

Nate M. said...

Natalie, 8:30 is awesome. Congrats.

Aaron said...

8:30 is really good. You would have beat quite a few people at the Sizzling Mile here in Springfield a few weeks ago. Good job!

Nate, it looks like you ran pretty well although it also seems you were being conservative during your middle 1/4s as evidenced by the 1:25 you finished up with.

What was your 7th grade PR? If it was 5:50 or so I think you're going to beat it next month.

Nate M. said...

7th grade PR = 5:33. Maybe that's a little too ambitious.

I only ran 6 times in July and 7 times in June, so I figure that getting out 15-16 times in August will put me in much better shape than I am now. If I can work in a little speed work, I think that a 15 second drop is pretty reasonable. Getting the extra 8 seconds could be tough. Maybe I should go buy a pair of racing flats. :-)

Nate M. said...

As for being conservative, I hadn't run anything but slow in over a year-and-a-half. I couldn't remember what I was supposed to feel like on a short and fast run.

Aaron said...

Usually pain is what I feel on a short and fast run.

I think it might take you a little longer than a month to beat that. I definitely think you can break 5:50 though.

I never ran a mile on the track until I was a freshman. I ran my first ever mile at WIU's indoor track and ran 5:35 and about two weeks later ran 5:18 at Knox College.

Nate M. said...

We'll see. Like I said, it might be too ambitious, but I think I've at least got an outside shot. Historically, I've seen a lot of improvement in the first month whenever I've gotten back into running consistently after a layoff.

Nate M. said...

I think I'll do a test mile on Labor Day Weekend, and then, September 15 or 16 will be my target date to really go after it.

Natalie said...

Not that I need to be giving you ANY running advice Nate, and not like you're going to have free time this year, but I've got to tell you that my knee has been feeling 100% better since I've joined a gym and have been taking yoga and pilates to regain some of my dancer strength and flexibility. Sounds like Aaron has had some injury issues and has been able to overcome them with some similar sort of exercise programs (like your core secrets thing you have mentioned a couple of time). If you start having injury problems again...you should get a yoga dvd.

Nate M. said...

I know a lot of runners who sing yoga's praises. Without question, I should do it... and someday, I'll probably get serious enough about staying healthy to actually do it.

Aaron said...

I bought a book called "Yoga For Regular Guys" by Diamond Dallas Page. For those of you who don't know, Diamond Dallas Page is a wrestler. He started doing yoga at the urging of his wife and was able to get rid of chronic back pain and win the heavyweight title at the age of 40-something.

Anyway, the book has regular guys and some very good looking ladies demonstrating the poses and sequences. I bought the DVD when it came out and it is also pretty good. I break a sweat everytime but it is hard to maintain the frame of mind needed for yoga when I have a 13 month old who likes to turn the channels on the TV or turn it off completely.

Last summer before Nathan was born I did yoga at least twice a week. I definitely suggest it to you Nate.