Monday, August 13, 2007

Review

I haven't done my weekly reviews for two weeks now so I figured I ought to do that for today's post.

I haven't really done anything.

I kid, I kid.

I took a few days off the week before the Parade Run to rehab my left knee and get that healthy as I am heading into the three races I circled on my calendar: the Parade Run, Abe's Amble and the Polka Pace Race. I had/have goals of 12:00, 41:30 and 18:50 for these respective races. I accomplished goal #1 of 12:00. Even if they didn't get the times right at the Parade Run my watch read 12:00.10 after I clicked it late going across the finish line. My finger slipped and I missed the button.

The 41:30 goal for Abe's came about because I think that saying sub-41:00 was a little ambitious because I would have to take well over a minute off of my current best of 42:16 on a difficult course. I think that sub-41:00 is possible but the forecast doesn't look great.

18:50 is the goal for the PPR because I think I'm wussing out only going for 41:30 at Abe's and if I tell myself that 19:00 is the goal at the PPR I'll only run 19:00 instead of 18:59. Last year at the PPR I told myself 19:40 was the goal even though I just wanted to break 20:00 and I ended up running 19:35. Maybe I was selling myself short.

Anyway, after doing the rehab on my knee July 29th through July 31st I ran an easy four in 33:38 on August 1st along with my exercises, more rehab on the 2nd, another easy four in 32:14 (I couldn't slow down) on the 3rd and eight miles in 1:06:03 on the 4th with a side of knee rehab.

I covered 16 miles that week.

Last week I ran five miles in 41:50 on Monday, four in 33:26 on Tuesday, nothing at all on Wednesday, raced in the Parade Run on Thursday, and an easy four in 34:05 with knee rehab on Thursday that gave me a nice case of two-day lag on Saturday morning's seven miler.

Saturday morning's seven miler was run in 59:00 after getting off to an extremely stiff 8:50 first mile and then easing into 8:31, 8:24, 8:28, 16:46 (forgot to hit my split, I did that a lot last week), and 8:01. I also did knee rehab afterward and twice on Sunday.

In case you're wondering, the knee feels much better.

Tomorrow I am going to get up and do an easy four or five but I won't time it because every single Timex Ironman watch I own, three of them to be exact, have dead batteries. I even replaced one of the batteries and it worked for a few weeks until last night when it let out a few feeble beeps and went blank. I went to the Running Warehouse and bought a new watch because they have good prices and free two day delivery to the CONUS. My new 30-lap Ironman should be here on Wednesday and in time for Abe's Amble.

Wednesday I'm going to run another four or five with a few 2-3 minutes pick-ups. Thursday will be an off day, Friday an easy three or four and Saturday will be a VERY easy three with a few strides afterwards to keep me loose for the main event on Sunday morning.

2 comments:

Nate M. said...

My watch works, but it's got big chunks pieces of plastic hanging off of it... and it's not even 2-years old. What a piece of junk.

Aaron said...

I got one of my watches too work last night but the other one, the one I like, still won't work despite the brand new battery I put in it.