Sunday, March 30, 2008

I'm not gonna hold my breath

I ran today for the first time in a week. I felt very weird.

I had a nice day. It was about 55 degrees but there was a pretty nice wind out of the SE around 15 mph. I wore a long sleeve shirt, shorts and a ball cap and set out for an easy four miles just to see how the legs and lungs would feel.

I lifted yesterday for the first time in over a week and my shoulders were pretty tight from the pull-ups and shoulder presses I did. I also couldn't get myself to slow down. I wasn't paying attention and ran well past my one mile mark but still ran 8:03.38. Mile two was a bit short and I covered it in 7:53.96 (15:57.34). Mile three was even faster in 7:52.07 (23:49.41). I made myself slow down after that so I didn't finish in oxygen debt and ran my final mile in 8:01.26 for a total time of 31:50.67.

I only hacked a few times as I walked to my house and I immediately hopped in the shower and into some dry clothes afterwards. My chest feels pretty good but my nose is stuffy. I'm hoping that I feel less herky-jerky and congested as the week goes on and am able to make a reasonable accounting of myself in my half marathon on Saturday.

I'm throwing all expectations out and just hoping to run strong the whole race. I have no time goal other than to run faster than I did during my 13.1 training run on the old course (1:43:29) that made my IT Band flare up.

Anything under that is a bonus.

No comments: